Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all

I want to switch from my iPad Pro 11" 2nd generation to iPad Pro 11" M1 for full resolution external monitor support in iPadOS 16.

What do you think? I use it only for browsing internet, reading email, youtube video and as a simple internet device.

I don't use or I will not use the ipad for video or photography purpouse. I will continue to use my mac for that.

But, at time of writing using my iPad with my 32" external monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio that I hate and also big black bars.

Any hints?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I would wait a little bit, because in less than a month, Apple will probably release a new M2 iPad Pro. And if you aren’t interested on the M2, the M1 will probably drop in price if you live in the USA.

If you’re from Europe I’m not sure what to tell you because the currency exchange could rise the prices from all the lineup so… up to you.

Reactions: CC88 and azentropy

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I would wait a little bit, because in less than a month, Apple will probably release a new M2 iPad Pro. And if you aren’t interested on the M2, the M1 will probably drop in price if you live in the USA.

If you’re from Europe I’m not sure what to tell you because the currency exchange could rise the prices from all the lineup so… up to you.
I'm in Italy. The latest iPhone increased about 200 euro on the top model.

I think the M2 iPad Pro will also have a price increase and that will drive up the M1 used costs.

In any case I will wait to see what happens.

Reactions: Populus

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
External monitor support is still very tricky - I would wait until this is really sortet out in iOS.

Never buy on promised or hinted future updates.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Dear all

I want to switch from my iPad Pro 11" 2nd generation to iPad Pro 11" M1 for full resolution external monitor support in iPadOS 16.

What do you think? I use it only for browsing internet, reading email, youtube video and as a simple internet device.

I don't use or I will not use the ipad for video or photography purpouse. I will continue to use my mac for that.

But, at time of writing using my iPad with my 32" external monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio that I hate and also big black bars.

Any hints?

Ditch the iPad? Mac is much better for your iPad use.

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Save your money and stick with the mac, especially if its just for basic web browsing.

Reactions: CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Save your money and stick with the mac, especially if its just for basic web browsing.

Hi thanks a lot for your help.

I use the iPad as my primary mobile device also. So I use it during my photography trips etc

At home I power off my mini and it can be in this state for months until I have the video or photography content to archive and edit.

The ipad can serve as a minipc to connect to the external monitor. I knew that full external monitor support will be available at Christimas time. So I can think and wait and in the meantime sell my ipad to not loose too much value.

The idea is to buy also the magic keyboard and have a complete mobile device to connect to external monitor when needed.

Reactions: skidu

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Hi thanks a lot for your help.

I use the iPad as my primary mobile device also. So I use it during my photography trips etc

At home I power off my mini and it can be in this state for months until I have the video or photography content to archive and edit.

The ipad can serve as a minipc to connect to the external monitor. I knew that full external monitor support will be available at Christimas time. So I can think and wait and in the meantime sell my ipad to not loose too much value.

The idea is to buy also the magic keyboard and have a complete mobile device to connect to external monitor when needed.

Ah okay, I wasn't aware you power down your main computer. I've got the 12"9 M1 with Magic Keyboard, it's honestly a great combo and definitely makes it feel more like a 'laptop/computer'. However, personally I would still always use my main windows PC for anything serious, like heavy editing in Photoshop or batch editing images in LR.

I've never actually tried connecting it up to my main displays, I'm guessing it'll act a bit better in 16.1 with stage manager. Is there a specific cable you use, i assume usb-c to hdmi? I might give it a ago this weekend.

Also, I think you're best just getting the M1 rarther than the M2 (it's already overkill for the intended platform on ios) and I really can't imagine the M2 taking advantage unless they release actually desktop apps ( even then, the M1 would be fine)

Reactions: arkitect and CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Ah okay, I wasn't aware you power down your main computer. I've got the 12"9 M1 with Magic Keyboard, it's honestly a great combo and definitely makes it feel more like a 'laptop/computer'. However, personally I would still always use my main windows PC for anything serious, like heavy editing in Photoshop or batch editing images in LR.

I've never actually tried connecting it up to my main displays, I'm guessing it'll act a bit better in 16.1 with stage manager. Is there a specific cable you use, i assume usb-c to hdmi? I might give it a ago this weekend.

Also, I think you're best just getting the M1 rarther than the M2 (it's already overkill for the intended platform on ios) and I really can't imagine the M2 taking advantage unless they release actually desktop apps ( even then, the M1 would be fine)

Yes of course. I will continue to use my mini with external GPU for heavy work like Lr/PS work and FCP. But this is not an all day task so I power off the mini, all the external raid and so on.

Ipad will be my 'fixed' platform with the external monitor for the daily task like mail, browsing, write letters, take notes etc.

I'm using an usb-c to hdmi cable and yes, the 'revolution' will be when I can use it in 16:9 4K with stage manager at Christmas.

I'm looking at the amazon warehouse options for an M1 but with no luck at the moment.

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Yes of course. I will continue to use my mini with external GPU for heavy work like Lr/PS work and FCP. But this is not an all day task so I power off the mini, all the external raid and so on.

Ipad will be my 'fixed' platform with the external monitor for the daily task like mail, browsing, write letters, take notes etc.

I'm using an usb-c to hdmi cable and yes, the 'revolution' will be when I can use it in 16:9 4K with stage manager at Christmas.

I'm looking at the amazon warehouse options for an M1 but with no luck at the moment.

Is there a specfic type of cable I need for 1440p at 60hz - im guessing hdmi 1.4 should be fine? I suppose i'll just get 2.1 to be on the safe side.

You've got me intrigued now to start using the iPad as a secondary computer. I'm guessing 16:9 support comes with iOS16?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Older Apple tech generally gets put on sale to clear stock inventory in Europe. Although it varies how much the saving is.

I second your post on the advice given.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Is there a specfic type of cable I need for 1440p at 60hz - im guessing hdmi 1.4 should be fine? I suppose i'll just get 2.1 to be on the safe side.

You've got me intrigued now to start using the iPad as a secondary computer. I'm guessing 16:9 support comes with iOS16?
16:9 support with stage manager and m1 iPad Pro.

I’m using an usb-c to hdmi cable with 60w power connector so in the meantime I can also charge the iPad.

It can reach 4k@60Hz.

If you don’t have stage manager support and an m1 you have 4:3 format and black bands.

So you have to wait Christmas for stage manager + external monitor support with m1 iPad Pro.

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
16:9 support with stage manager and m1 iPad Pro.

I’m using an usb-c to hdmi cable with 60w power connector so in the meantime I can also charge the iPad.

It can reach 4k@60Hz.

If you don’t have stage manager support and an m1 you have 4:3 format and black bands.

So you have to wait Christmas for stage manager + external monitor support with m1 iPad Pro.
Thanks for the reply, i’ve ordered a cable for tomorrow and going to install 16.1 beta this weekend to test it out.

Fwir iPad OS is coming out next month, so shouldn’t need to wait till Christmas thankfully. They’re even supporting non m1 ipads as of 16.1.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply, i’ve ordered a cable for tomorrow and going to install 16.1 beta this weekend to test it out.

Fwir iPad OS is coming out next month, so shouldn’t need to wait till Christmas thankfully. They’re even supporting non m1 ipads as of 16.1.
for stage manager on the iPad no, it's available as you say, for external monitor support, you'll have to wait a couple of months (it's no longer available even in beta)

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

Stage Manager is coming out next month with iPadOS 16.1, but external monitor support is still coming later. They even removed it from the 16.1 beta.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010

Note that they dropped external monitor support in 16.1 beta. They said it will be available again in the next 16.2 I think and finally on Christmas release.

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
for stage manager on the iPad no, it's available as you say, for external monitor support, you'll have to wait a couple of months (it's no longer available even in beta)
Stage Manager is coming out next month with iPadOS 16.1, but external monitor support is still coming later. They even removed it from the 16.1 beta.

Note that they dropped external monitor support in 16.1 beta. They said it will be available again in the next 16.2 I think and finally on Christmas release.

Oh well, there's me getting excited for nothing. To be honest, I hadn't been following the iPad updates at all until stumbling upon this thread. I watched a few videos on Youtube showing off stage manager on external monitors but had no idea they dropped it.

Makes sense why you kept on referring to Christmas now 🙄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.