Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kev001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I tried to download a free app from a different region in the appstore but i am unable to because i have a US account and its limited to the US appstore. So i thought if i just changed the region in my itunes account settings everything would be fine, unfortunately you need to add a credit card to complete the process...

So does anyone know a way around this that doesn't require me to make a new account or add a credit card to my current account?

Last edited:

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Kevin
i had to do this when installing a BMW remote app thats only available in the UK. its very easy to do...

On your PC (or Mac)
in itunes log out of your account

at the bottom of the 'store' change your region.

go find the free app your looking for

click 'buy'

it will then ask you to create an account and will now offer the 'no card' option, you'll create a new user name and password for this 'new account'

enter an address thats local to that region while selecting no card.

From your iphone, log out of your itunes account from within your settings

login with your other account
go to the app store
download your free app
back to settings, log out, then log back in with your real region user name and password

you'll now have your other app, mixed in with your regular ones.

Kev001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Kevin
i had to do this when installing a BMW remote app thats only available in the UK. its very easy to do...

On your PC (or Mac)
in itunes log out of your account

at the bottom of the 'store' change your region.

go find the free app your looking for

click 'buy'

it will then ask you to create an account and will now offer the 'no card' option, you'll create a new user name and password for this 'new account'

enter an address thats local to that region while selecting no card.

From your iphone, log out of your itunes account from within your settings

login with your other account
go to the app store
download your free app
back to settings, log out, then log back in with your real region user name and password

you'll now have your other app, mixed in with your regular ones.

thanks for your response but there's a slight problem with doing that. After i make the foreign account and install/sync it to my iPhone wouldn't it unauthorize the apps that are on iPhone that are linked to my original account? so during the sync process it would remove everything, right? this is why i dont want to make a new account

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
no it just installs it and keeps everything else. when you sync your phone to your PC you will get a popup saying something to the effect of "i wont transfer this app cause its from another region". subsequently that app wont show on your PC but will remain on your iphone with all your other apps.

Kev001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
no it just installs it and keeps everything else. when you sync your phone to your PC you will get a popup saying something to the effect of "i wont transfer this app cause its from another region". subsequently that app wont show on your PC but will remain on your iphone with all your other apps.

Yup you were right, got it to work. thanks :)

Jashee

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Hi I've read the thread on how to change without credit card but what if I don't have Mac Pc only iPhone can I do the steps too?? There are loads of apps which is not available in Qatar and always ask me to change different store. I tried to change to US but same problem like Kevin it keeps on asking for credit card Infos. Please help me if there's other way I woul appreciate it much thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.