Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
/
It has always been a challenge to change the keyboard layout of the login screen. My password wants the keyboard layout I am accustomed to, whether that be French or English/US101 aka QWERTY. After I bought my new M2 MacBook Air, I found it had the English/US101 aka QWERTY. Search here was unrewarding. Web search disclosed only one useful post I could find: https://vkritis.blogspot.com/2014/01/change-default-keyboard-of-osx-login.html

Those instructions will get it done. Blogs do not live forever (unlike these forums), and this only works for those who are comfortable using the command line, and Xcode needs to be installed, it seems.

For this reason, I copy the essentials from the blog here. Somewhere out there are other frustrated persons who will probably be glad to find this.

1. in your user account, make the keyboard layout have only the one you want at login. To do this, go to System Settings>Keyboard>Input Sources
  2. Open a Terminal window. Select and copy the text below, paste it into a the shell and hit enter. You should be asked for an administrator password, presumably yours. Enter it, and hit return.
  3. Reboot, and you should find the keyboard layout you want. I used the method successfully about 3 days ago. It is easy for command line beginners to make keystroke mistakes they do not realize they have made. I advise against typing the command. Select and copy, followed by paste is the way to go.

sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist /Library/Preferences/

It amazes me that this has been made so difficult in Ventura. Someone must consider it a great advantage for it to have been made this hard, or perhaps it is just another random act by a thoughtless monoglot.

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

LeLuc

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2023
It has always been a challenge to change the keyboard layout of the login screen. My password wants the keyboard layout I am accustomed to, whether that be French or English/US101 aka QWERTY. After I bought my new M2 MacBook Air, I found it had the English/US101 aka QWERTY. Search here was unrewarding. Web search disclosed only one useful post I could find: https://vkritis.blogspot.com/2014/01/change-default-keyboard-of-osx-login.html

Those instructions will get it done. Blogs do not live forever (unlike these forums), and this only works for those who are comfortable using the command line, and Xcode needs to be installed, it seems.

For this reason, I copy the essentials from the blog here. Somewhere out there are other frustrated persons who will probably be glad to find this.

1. in your user account, make the keyboard layout have only the one you want at login. To do this, go to System Settings>Keyboard>Input Sources
  2. Open a Terminal window. Select and copy the text below, paste it into a the shell and hit enter. You should be asked for an administrator password, presumably yours. Enter it, and hit return.
  3. Reboot, and you should find the keyboard layout you want. I used the method successfully about 3 days ago. It is easy for command line beginners to make keystroke mistakes they do not realize they have made. I advise against typing the command. Select and copy, followed by paste is the way to go.

sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist /Library/Preferences/

It amazes me that this has been made so difficult in Ventura. Someone must consider it a great advantage for it to have been made this hard, or perhaps it is just another random act by a thoughtless monoglot.
You've saved my day ... Hard to understand Apple sometimes .... And despite the fact, they have changed the prefrences to the new settings menu, tons of solutions are no more accurate on the web .. So speaking about benefit .. someone has at Apple to think about what this at the end is bringing "forward" the UI and functionalities of MacOSX ... Thnx for your help

Alienworld

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
I have struggled with this issue since some time, starting with an original install with a Swiss keyboard the changing to a UK keyboard, starting up the computer requested me to use the Swiss style password, then once started the UK style password. This method works also on macOS Sierra, Thanks

wojtek88

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2022
Under the newest Ventura 13.5, this seems to work for the first login screen when the computer is booted. However, when selecting:
Lock the screen and then
Switch User

The new login screen again has the default QWERTY keyboard and not Colemak I am trying to have.
I cannot switch keyboard type then, as this is disabled globally for all Macs in our organization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.