Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRMrGecko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere and everywhere
Hello, I have mac os x client running a apache web server, and a email server and when my computer sends out a email it's received in the spam. I'm guessing that's because of this header.
"Received: from unknown (HELO {my local address}.local) ({My ip address}) by smtp5.{my internet provider} with SMTP; 13 Dec 2008 15:21:33 -0000"

The big reason I think it's marking as junk is because, it's trying to lookup my local address and not finding it.
I do have a domain, and I'll like that to be my local address, so the spam filters would possibly be able to not mark mine as spam.

Thanks for any help,
Mr. Gecko

dampfdruck

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Hello,

you can't configure reverse DNS. This must be done by the netblock owner (your ISP).

However, this is not your problem.

The configuration of your MTA is wrong. Once you have corrected it, you can test it by telneting to 127.0.0.1 on port 25 and issue a "helo" or "ehelo". Your MTA should respond with the correct FQDN.

GRMrGecko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere and everywhere
Hello,

you can't configure reverse DNS. This must be done by the netblock owner (your ISP).

However, this is not your problem.

The configuration of your MTA is wrong. Once you have corrected it, you can test it by telneting to 127.0.0.1 on port 25 and issue a "helo" or "ehelo". Your MTA should respond with the correct FQDN.

Thanks it now says "Received: from unknown (HELO smtp.{my domain}) ({my ip address}) by smtp2.{my isp address} with SMTP; 13 Dec 2008 16:35:04 -0000"
I followed http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031025022626398 if someone else finds this in the future and want's to do the same thing.

GRMrGecko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere and everywhere
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.