Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Hi,
I have an Macbook Air 13 Mid 2013 i5 / 4gb. I bought a replacement logic board i7/8gb from ebay in order to upgrade my laptop. I've installed the new board and everything works great. But the Serial Numbers Appears as Unavailable.

How I can generate a new serial number? As I understand the serial number printed in the case must have a relationship with the Logic Board.

I saw on internet that I can use a software to set the serial number into the new logic board, is it right?

Thanks for your help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple has software that will set that serial number on the new logic board for you. I have never seen that software available anywhere that you could do this yourself.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

devops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Apple has software that will set that serial number on the new logic board for you. I have never seen that software available anywhere that you could do this yourself.
What serial number they will put? The Serial number from the case or will generate a new serial number?.

What happen if a sell my older logic board? we will have the same serial number

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What serial number they will put? The Serial number from the case or will generate a new serial number?.

What happen if a sell my older logic board? we will have the same serial number
From what I have seen, they would use the existing serial number.

Normally, I would assume Apple just trashes or recycles the old logic board, so the serial number is not an issue. If you sold yours and someone got it working, they might have issues if they took it in to Apple for service I suppose. But for an old machine out of warranty, who cares I guess.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I have used the software before on a 2009 Air (it is available online, but I cannot point out where *hint hint*), and the version that I used allowed one to simply enter whatever serial number they liked. I entered the serial that was printed on the machine. Good luck to you!

devops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I have used the software before on a 2009 Air (it is available online, but I cannot point out where *hint hint*), and the version that I used allowed one to simply enter whatever serial number they liked. I entered the serial that was printed on the machine. Good luck to you!
Thanks, but what happend If a sell my old Logic Board. We will have 2 logic boards with same serial number. Or this software also can rewrite the serial number from the old logic board?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
From what I've heard, the app can only set the serial number on a board that doesn't have one. It won't change the number once it's already set.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Thanks, but what happend If a sell my old Logic Board. We will have 2 logic boards with same serial number. Or this software also can rewrite the serial number from the old logic board?
The software can only set a serial number on a blank board, not change an existing one. Having two boards with the same serial isn't the end of the world.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The serial number will not match the configuration of your computer with the new logic board. Apple is very unlikely to be willing to update the serial number on the board you bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.