Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
How do I download using a web browser with the iPad so that before saving the file, I could change the file name and the folder it saved to? I could do this with Windows or Macs but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to do this with the iPad. I could download the file but the file would be saved to whatever default directory for the particular app. If I want to change the file name or folder, I have to browse the folder manually and create a new folder and change the file name there. This is very time consuming if I want to download a lot of files at the same time.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I do not know wether some browser on iPadOS - btw. which version are you using? - offers this.

But: you can create a Shortcut - which you can pin to the Share-menu (or execute via Siri)- which copies (a) file(s) to a folder you specify and after that the original is deleted; or you move it (or you use 2 shortcuts, one to rename and move your files and a second one to clean up the download folder of the browser you use).
Shortcut offers e.g. a Select File, Move File, Save File, Rename File, Delete Files command (there is more to access and save to specified external folders, et cetera, or, if installed, to dropbox, &,&,&).

The below Shortcut copies a selected file or folder (you can turn on multiple selection for several) to a new destination you specify. Feel free to extend to your needs. 🤓

IMG_2612.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.