Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Seeking feedback.

Currently have a 2009 15inch MacBook Pro. Upgraded memory, replaced HD and battery. I hacked the OS to keep up w/ the updates which Apple doesn't support anymore. Runs like a tank but know will fail eventually.

Would I be better off replacing w/ a tablet, or MB Air?

Since they are now made to prevent fixing ourselves, I know I'll never get the lifespan out of the next device as I've gotten out of this one.

Basic use now is all web/cloud apps. Email, web, taxes, muzak, photos... Just basic stuff. I don't do any video stuff anymore. Thus alot of power isn't as needed for soul sucking usage.

Anyone think I'm best off buying a MB Air, getting a tablet, or just going w/ something basic like a Chromebook?

I'm the type of person that will use a device for a long time and only replace when necessary.

Thoughts n feedback appreciated. Thank you.

sierrablue

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
I just bought a MacBook Air M1 base model and use it almost exclusively in clamshell mode but I know once the warm weather comes, it will be outside with me on my back deck daily with my glass of wine. I have a 2017 iPad Pro that still works great. They both have their strong points. Your computer still works so if it was me, I would buy the tablet first and then buy the Air. Although, if there was a good sale on one or the other I might be persuaded to buy that one first. To me, it is not a this or that question. I need both.

Reactions: phoenix_jet

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
If you’re planning to just have the one device I’d say go with the M1 MBA. Plenty of power, plenty of battery life, and the flexibility of MacOS and years of software support.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Laptop vs tablet is a personal preference that only you can answer. My wife does everything on her ipad, while I find it awkward for most tasks outside of casual browsing.

If I were choosing, it would be the MB Air.

shreyasm-dev

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2022
Earth
If it was up to me, I'd recommend the MacBook Air (you may want to wait until M2). Years of updates (a 2014 MBA was supported until early 2021), the power of Apple Silicon, great battery life, portability, etc.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
As said before it is a personal choice. My iPad is good for general consumption, but if I want to do anything serious I go for the laptop. For instance, numbers is terrible to do on the iPad. laptop also has better keyboard. It all depends on what you intend to do.

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Those keypads on the ipad are probably a no go for me. I have big hands and don't think they'd be comfortable. Thx all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.