Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
First reaction to Apple's smart "case" for iPad mini 4 was that it was a cover and not a case. And way overpriced at that. But I finally bit the bullet and bought one. I absolutely love it. The fit is superb, it works absolutely perfectly with the Smart Cover, and it's not bulky at all. I still think the price is outrageous and mostly for suckers, but it's a solid offering.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I bought my Smart case and cover early on because I was going to be traveling and nothing else good was on the market yet. It cannot be compared to the $10 case. I've used those and the back of the case may be decent (but heavy) but the cover is cardboard with the thinnest vinyl covering. Maybe those are better now but the ones I bought for my Air were slippery.

Now that I've been using it for 6 months I feel like it's overpriced but not to the point of feeling like a sucker. Given how long my iPads last I expect this one to carry on till the new long after cheaper ones would have died out and been replaced.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I just got my Apple silicone case in charcoal gray and it's horrible as far as attracting massive amounts of dust, lint, and hair. Not only can I see it, but I can feel it when I hold it. The only way to really remove it is constantly use a moist towel and wipe it down. I wish they had simply made the material the same as what is on the Smart Cover. I would consider getting a white one to at least alleviate seeing it so noticeably, but that would have its own issues with being white.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Silicone will attract dust. Get a TPU (thermoplastic/poly urethane) and it will not attract as much dust. It will still have dust but will not suck it up like a kardashian sucking bbc.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I actually just realized that my silicone case smells nasty. Seriously, smell the case, it smells like a nasty cheese or body odor. I'm swapping it out for a replacement with Target online. Hoping I just got a dud.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Apple's silicone case really sucks.
I really don't get it why they ditched the nice leather smart case in favour of this ugly,nasty silicone back cover + smart cover combo.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.