Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2023
I plan to change my apple id email but have a few concerns. When changing Apple ID email will I lose any pictures or text messages? My concern with text messages is losing pictures that people have texted me over the years. Pictures and Texts have all rolled from my previous iPhone's dating back to 2012 from doing phone to phone transfer whenever I got a new phone. I dont think any of the texts have been send specifically to my apple id but to my phone number. Any advice?

Right now I have the free 5gb icloud storage but plan to upgrade to 2tb once I change my apple id email.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I plan to change my apple id email but have a few concerns. When changing Apple ID email will I lose any pictures or text messages? My concern with text messages is losing pictures that people have texted me over the years. Pictures and Texts have all rolled from my previous iPhone's dating back to 2012 from doing phone to phone transfer whenever I got a new phone. I dont think any of the texts have been send specifically to my apple id but to my phone number. Any advice?

Right now I have the free 5gb icloud storage but plan to upgrade to 2tb once I change my apple id email.
If you change the email that your Apple ID uses, then you should be fine. If you are changing your Apple ID that your phone uses, then you might lose your photos that are in iCloud, but I don’t think you will immediately lose your messages.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I had the same issue when my work email changed and had to change it.

Very nervous I'd lose my apps which many are paid.

Apple online chat helped me by walking me thru the email changeover.

Even kept the same password which helps an aging brain of mine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.