Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nCode

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2021
Hi,

I'm looking to simplify of the amount of email accounts I have, and was wondering if there are any disadvantages of changing my AppleID from an iCloud address to an Outlook one?

Outlook is my personal email, and I don't use iCloud for email at all. What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
If I recall correctly, you can only change from a third-party address to an Apple one, not vice versa.

So I'm afraid you're stuck with the iCloud address unless you want to create a whole new Apple ID. But is there a problem with only using it as a login?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just because your AppleID happens to provide an email address doesn’t mean you have to use it. Just keep using your outlook address.

ShrimpScampi

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2021
Only thing I can think of is that it perhaps might be more 'secure' if your login to your Apple ID isn't the same one as the one you're giving out to everyone else. That being said, I changed my Apple ID from my @icloud email address to a third-party address just last week and it worked fine, so I think that restriction that WebHead was talking about has been lifted.

Reactions: WebHead

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Only thing I can think of is that it perhaps might be more 'secure' if your login to your Apple ID isn't the same one as the one you're giving out to everyone else. That being said, I changed my Apple ID from my @icloud email address to a third-party address just last week and it worked fine, so I think that restriction that WebHead was talking about has been lifted.

Quite right, I think the restriction I was thinking of was actually on merging accounts, i.e. you can merge a third-party address with an iCloud one, but not two iCloud ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.