Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
I know that you can change the Apple bootcamp loading icon via onmac.net
however, when I change the icon for the xp drive icon thing the new icon doesn't show up when you load the screen (after holding option) to select osx or xp....the osx icon will show up but the xp one still is the traditional hard drive icon...i think i may be missing something or is it just not possible? my xp format is FAT....

this may be posted in other threads but i wasn't able to see it - so i thought i'd start a new one (sorry if there's others)

thanks, hope to hear from some people

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
charlestrippy said:
I know that you can change the Apple bootcamp loading icon via onmac.net
however, when I change the icon for the xp drive icon thing the new icon doesn't show up when you load the screen (after holding option) to select osx or xp....the osx icon will show up but the xp one still is the traditional hard drive icon...i think i may be missing something or is it just not possible? my xp format is FAT....

this may be posted in other threads but i wasn't able to see it - so i thought i'd start a new one (sorry if there's others)

thanks, hope to hear from some people

There's a long work around, but I could never get it to work so I ended up not bothering.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
If you notice when you hold down option, your choices are "Macintosh HD" (or whatever your Mac Hardrive) and just Windows. My Windows harddrive is named "Windows HD". My theory is that BootCamp creates an OS invisible partition that manages the MBR for Windows. Intel Macs use the GUID parition and my limited knowledge tells me that the GUID does not handle the MBR? Well, anyways when you click the Windows harddrive icon you're telling the computer to boot to this hidden partition information and not the Windows partition. This hidden "MBR Partition" manages things like the drive order boot found on CDs (which is why you get the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt when you leave the XP CD in there) and possiblly the MBR table. So to change that Windows icon at boot you'd have to change something in that hidden parition. shrug.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
7on said:
If you notice when you hold down option, your choices are "Macintosh HD" (or whatever your Mac Hardrive) and just Windows. My Windows harddrive is named "Windows HD". My theory is that BootCamp creates an OS invisible partition that manages the MBR for Windows. Intel Macs use the GUID parition and my limited knowledge tells me that the GUID does not handle the MBR? Well, anyways when you click the Windows harddrive icon you're telling the computer to boot to this hidden partition information and not the Windows partition. This hidden "MBR Partition" manages things like the drive order boot found on CDs (which is why you get the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt when you leave the XP CD in there) and possiblly the MBR table. So to change that Windows icon at boot you'd have to change something in that hidden parition. shrug.

haha well, thanks anyway

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
7on said:
…So to change that Windows icon at boot you'd have to change something in that hidden parition. shrug.

You might be onto something but seeing as how the icon and booting works for Vista after you delete the EFI partition I think the icon is probably found in firmware. :confused:

But I am probably horribly wrong.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
treblah said:
You might be onto something but seeing as how the icon and booting works for Vista after you delete the EFI partition I think the icon is probably found in firmware. :confused:

But I am probably horribly wrong.

meh, we're probably both horribly wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.