Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
how can i change the icon of dashboard in the dock, i change it for dashboard in the applications folder, drag it out of the dock then back in but it still stays the same

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
This little app. called candy bar lets you customize this. It's free to try. You can safely change any icon you want with this app.

candybar

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
biohazard6969 said:
how can i change the icon of dashboard in the dock, i change it for dashboard in the applications folder, drag it out of the dock then back in but it still stays the same
I believe the icon for dashboard is actually kept inside the Dock's application bundle. Instead of changing the icon for the Dashboard app in the Applications folder, you'll need to do this:

1. In the Finder, select "Go to Folder..." from the Go menu and enter this line:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/
  2. In that folder, find dashboard.png and make a backup. The easiest way to do this is to drag it to your desktop.
  3. Replace dashboard.png with your replacement icon. If you drag your new icon into the folder, you should be asked to authenticate.
  4. In /Library/Caches/, remove the file named com.apple.dock.iconcache.501 (or move/rename it). You might have a different number than 501 for your user.
  5. Restart the Dock. To do this, open Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities), select the Dock, and click Quit.
That should do it, hope this helps!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I think you can change any icon with candy bar individual or groups and even system icons.

I only tried the trial version back in the day and I can't remember exactly. But I think you can change any icon with candy bar by that I mean individual/groups or even system icons.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Yeh, I last used it 'back in the day'!
I seem to remember it change icons system-wide only... I don't know!

EDIT: Just had a look at panic.com and it appears as though you can just change individual icons!

screen-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.