Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

I currently have the grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad. I was checking my account and there are other plans available to me. I haven’t used a lot of data lately, so I was wondering about switching to a lower plan. However, will I lose the option to go back to the unlimited plan if I need it again? Anyone know? Thanks.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I don't think there is a real grandfathered plan anymore. Everyone that was on that is now on their regular prepaid unlimited plan which is still available. So you should be able to come back to it at a later time provided that they still offer it. I looked at the different carriers and the AT&T plan still seems to be the cheapest for "unlimited".

Curiously they raised the price on mine last month by $5 and this month it did not auto renew. I noticed right away and renewed manually from the iPad landing page.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
My wife and I still original grandfathered plan on our iPads and iPhones. My wife’s CC went out of date and the plan failed to auto pay. It’s happened twice over the years. The first time the original unlisted plan still showed as an option. The second time it happened (3/4 months ago?) the option was no longer available. Thankfully AT$T looked up her account and let her select it again.

Let me say this upfront, I don’t know the proper “data” terminally for but my 9 year old daughter is on a current ATT unlimited iPad plan. We travel full time for for relief work and are pretty heavy data users. I can tell her Video steaming performance degrades where my wife and I do not have this issue.

Many times my daughter is borrowing one of our iPads to finish streaming her school videos. I’m going to keep paying ATT until I just can’t justify the cost. That day isn’t yet.

Reactions: baypharm

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I decided to stay on whatever unlimited plan I currently have with AT&T. It was originally the plan you could get with the very first iPad for $29.99/month until AT&T stopped offering it 2 months later.

Reactions: psingh01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.