Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erroratseek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Hello Folks

I’m new to this forum and joined for this particular topic.
There are already many threads of changing the VRAM on my unsupported Macbook here and on other sites but the are all kinda long (posts over a couple of years) and some are not dedicated posts but mixed various questions and so leading to much confusion. Below some threads from here I stumbled over

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-increase-vram-for-hd3000-graphics.1766384/
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.2121473/page-199#post-26343097

I tried any of the steps mentioned in the above posts and other I found around the web with my actual Setup:

Macbook Pro 13 (early 2011)
i5-2415M with Intel HD 3000 (stuck at 384MB)
6gb DDR3 RAM 1333 (replaced an original 2GB module with a 4GB pulled from old Laptop)
240gb Drevo X1 SSD in standard HDD-Bay for macOS Catalina (installed with DosDudes Patcher)
240gb Drevo X1 SSD in Superdrive-Replacement Bay for Timemachine Backups
SIP Disabled

It’s my first patched MacOS and everything runs really smooth and stable. Already replaced the Airport Adapter to enable Handoff and Airdrop.

I’m a IT-Guy with some expertise of Infrastructure and Virtualization (VMware Consultant) and so I’m very used to Windows and NIX (MCSA, LPIC 1+2…) generally.
For private use I abandoned MS a few years ago and got myself a Macbook 12“ Retina but just for surfing and entertainment. I’m telling that to show I’m not a total noob on computers and avoid some trolling ;)

There where some discussion about issues that prevent changing the VRAM like disabled SIP or if the machine has not enough RAM but I never got „clear“ about my actual problem. Maybe I missed something because english is not my native tongue or simply I read over the solution because some threads are active for years.
So I decided to let it be a while because I planned to upgrade my hardware anyway.
Tomorrow my new parts arrive and the setup will be

Macbook Pro 13 (early 2011)
i5-2415M with Intel HD 3000 (stuck at 384MB)
16GB DDR3 RAM 1333 CL9 (Corsair)
1 TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD for Catalina
1 TB HDD for Timemachine

I’m going to clone Catalina from the Drevo SSD to the Samsung Drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

So I’m wondering:
  1. Is disabled SIP causing my issues and if so, will Catalina run when I re-enable it?
  2. Is the lack of RAM the issue?
Could anyone give a step-by-step tutorial to change VRAM on my MBP explicit for Catalina?

I guess there are more people like me with the same problems since there are still posts about it in 2020 and a dedicated thread would help not just me to avoid spending hours of reading posts starting in 2011.

erroratseek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Today my memory upgrade arrived and on first reboot with 16GB the VRAM increased to 1024MB.
Because my last attempt was to increase from 384 to 512MB, It changed automatically/dynamically.

Normally I prefer to understand what's happening and why but I guess I just take it as it is, 1024MB was my goal anyways
I would appreciate it if someone still could give an answer to this topic because I think it's still interesting for some people but if the mods wanna close it, I don't bother...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.