Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
So I really want to change the color of My phone from Rose Gold to matte black.

I know it's possible and I'm not 100% sure id want to do it myself...

Anyone have any ideas ...

Besides the obvious of get a matte black one because I know that's an option lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Neucase

$300. You send them your phone, they replace the casing based on your selected colors, they send it and your old casing back to you.

o.jpg

If that's too expensive there are housings on eBay for cheap but you have to do it yourself. Otherwise, it's a matter of stripping the anodization off I would guess and then 'repainting'.

Also, more than one person who responds in this thread will suggest a case. I guarantee you that.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Perhaps look into 'skins' for your phone.

One popular brand I see youtubers promoting is dbrand.

For instance maybe this will work for you: https://dbrand.com/shop/iphone-7-skins

I am not sure how you would do it otherwise, short of physically swapping the exterior.

These people sale really good skins. I've thought about this too.

I also know of a guy in town that will swap the exterior completely... It's $149 and too me it seems like a lot when I'm going to be upgrading in just a few months again...

I guess I could just live with it, but seeing matte black definitely makes me want it lol
[doublepost=1498509061][/doublepost]
Neucase

$300. You send them your phone, they replace the casing based on your selected colors, they send it and your old casing back to you.

o.jpg

If that's too expensive there are housings on eBay for cheap but you have to do it yourself. Otherwise, it's a matter of stripping the anodization off I would guess and then 'repainting'.

Also, more than one person who responds in this thread will suggest a case. I guarantee you that.

Yes 100% I know people will say a case. You and I feel EXACTLY the same when it comes to that.

Why put a case on the phone when it continues to look good
[doublepost=1498510294][/doublepost]
Only one serious answer and you already know what it is. Sell your phone and buy a used matte black on Swappa. Won't cost you much at all. Maybe nothing. Anything else is just dumb...

You're right this is about the most sane thing I came up with. I'm guessing I could find one second hand for $400-$450 and my phone is unlocked with clear imei and is good for so I should have 0 issues selling my phone for the same.

Pay nothing out of pocket and I'm happy and fine.

Of course the color of the phone isn't the end all be all either. I could just be ecstatic with my phone and be done with it...

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 488
Reactions: eyoungren

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I really want to change the color of My phone from Rose Gold to matte black.

I know it's possible and I'm not 100% sure id want to do it myself...

Anyone have any ideas ...

Besides the obvious of get a matte black one because I know that's an option lol

That's a difficult decision. I actually like the Rose Gold, but It depends what you want to spend. Ultimately, no matter what you decide to do to alter the color, just make sure it's professionally compeleted if you apply a skin or have the housing painted.

But if it were me, I think it I would rather sell the Rose Gold and purchase the Matte Black iPhone, even if I had to pay a difference.

Reactions: Tthomas612

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
That's a difficult decision. I actually like the Rose Gold, but It depends what you want to spend. Ultimately, no matter what you decide to do to alter the color, just make sure it's professionally compeleted if you apply a skin or have the housing painted.

But if it were me, I think it I would rather sell the Rose Gold and purchase the Matte Black iPhone, even if I had to pay a difference.

Yes I have to agree with you. I actually like the rose gold. Nothing against it at all, but I’ve always been a black iPhone person.

I can understand people liking this color. It’s not horrible, but I’m used to black. Especially when it comes to the front of the phone.

Something else I’ve pondered is changing the screen to have black bezels, but I know with TouchID I’d also have to get the motherboard changed.

I honestly think my best bet is to buy an iPhone 7 matte black in secondhand and then selling mine for around the same price.
[doublepost=1498519109][/doublepost]

Best idea yet!!!! Great!

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Neucase

o.jpg

This would be great if someone wants a unique color, but if all they want is matte black they are much better off selling their phone and simply buying the matte black version.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This would be great if someone wants a unique color, but if all they want is matte black they are much better off selling their phone and simply buying the matte black version.
I would argue that the cost is equivalent if not a less going with Neucase.

Or are you saying that a new matte black iPhone 7 runs around $300?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Well its gonna be less to sell your current phone and buy a new one. You won't take a $300 loss, plus you don't lose your warranty. You modify your phone, warranty goes bye-bye.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

Well you'd be selling your current phone, and buying a used one in another color so I'd say you'd be paying very little out of pocket

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.