Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
A contact of mine just switched from Android to iOS and I added their iCloud account to their existing contact and now when they message or FaceTime me it shows their iCloud email address instead of their name. How do you change this?

Thanks.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
as long as the email address is listed in their contact on your iOS device, it should show the name of the Contact, not the email. The contact of yours should probably also check their settings in FaceTime and iMessage and make sure they set it to say the message or FaceTime is from their phone number if that is what they prefer.

Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
figured it might take time to somehow update, but it still shows as the email address and not the person's name...

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
Have you closed the Messages app and FaceTime (swiped them away in the app switcher screen) and then reopened them? Not long ago I added a new phone number to an existing contact and it just showed the phone number rather than contact name in the Messages app. Killing the app and reopening it resolved it, it now shows contact name. (Yours is not quite the same scenario, but is similar enough that it may work.)

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I’d do that, close messenger and FaceTime... I’d also double check the spelling on the email address you put in their contact. I say this from personal experience... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.