Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonasbull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
In iOS 11 you can change the key photo for live photos. Are all the photos you can pick between taken in full resolution? I thought only the main frame was taken as a full res photo and that the rest was a low res video file.

Reactions: jef82

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
In iOS 11 you can change the key photo for live photos. Are all the photos you can pick between taken in full resolution? I thought only the main frame was taken as a full res photo and that the rest was a low res video file.

/push
like to know that, too :)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Checked a few of my Live Photos I’ve taken (by accident if I’m honest. I haven’t been a fan of the feature previously) and, yes, it looks Live Photos are now made of actual full res photos, or some compressed version of near enough full res photos, that the frame you pick is of full/near full quality.

Note: I took these on a 7+ with HEIF/HEVC enabled. YMMV

Edit: more succinctly I can’t see any differences between the default static picture and the other choices, other than those you would see between multiple manual pictures or burst mode. Some are better, some are worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.