Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I feel like this is an iOS issue and not a Youtube app issue. When I am in Youtube on my iPhone and I want to share the video say to Facebook, it used to be that I would simply click the share button and then click the Facebook option. But since the iOS was updated at some point, I now have to click on More... to find the Facebook option. Now when I click on Share, I see Copy Link, Email, Twitter, Messages, WhatsAop and More. I never use Twitter or WhatsApp. And I'd rather have the Messages option closer to the left. Ideally it would be Copy Link, Messages, Facebook, Messenger, Email. But I can't edit these choices or rearrange them. When I click on More, the option screen goes away and then comes back and now I have a new list, that is more of what I want. Now the order is Message, Facebook, Messenger, Mail, More. (Below that row there's also Add to Reading List, Copy and another More.) When I click on the first More, I get the Activities screen where I can turn on/off options and re-order them. That's great but it doesn't impact the first screen I see when I click on the Share button, only the screen I get to when I click More. So, for example, if I turn off WhatsApp, it still appears as an option on the first screen of options. How do I customize that first screen? I know it's minor, but I used to be able to click share and then click Facebook. Now I have to click share, scroll to the right of the options, click More and then click Facebook. I didn't have the two extra steps before.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I feel like this is an iOS issue and not a Youtube app issue. When I am in Youtube on my iPhone and I want to share the video say to Facebook, it used to be that I would simply click the share button and then click the Facebook option. But since the iOS was updated at some point, I now have to click on More... to find the Facebook option. Now when I click on Share, I see Copy Link, Email, Twitter, Messages, WhatsAop and More. I never use Twitter or WhatsApp. And I'd rather have the Messages option closer to the left. Ideally it would be Copy Link, Messages, Facebook, Messenger, Email. But I can't edit these choices or rearrange them. When I click on More, the option screen goes away and then comes back and now I have a new list, that is more of what I want. Now the order is Message, Facebook, Messenger, Mail, More. (Below that row there's also Add to Reading List, Copy and another More.) When I click on the first More, I get the Activities screen where I can turn on/off options and re-order them. That's great but it doesn't impact the first screen I see when I click on the Share button, only the screen I get to when I click More. So, for example, if I turn off WhatsApp, it still appears as an option on the first screen of options. How do I customize that first screen? I know it's minor, but I used to be able to click share and then click Facebook. Now I have to click share, scroll to the right of the options, click More and then click Facebook. I didn't have the two extra steps before.
Tap and hold on the icons, then drag them in the order you want. They will stay that way.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Tap and hold on the icons, then drag them in the order you want. They will stay that way.

Sorry - that doesn't work. I know how to move them via the hamburger lines but doing so does not impact the initial screen of sharing options. I'm pretty sure I was able to customize this in the past, but I don't see how now.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Sorry - that doesn't work. I know how to move them via the hamburger lines but doing so does not impact the initial screen of sharing options. I'm pretty sure I was able to customize this in the past, but I don't see how now.
Not talking about the hamburger lines. Talking about the icons themselves on the very first share screen you see. Tap and hold directly on the icon, and you can move it.
ADDAAF9A-CA3F-4489-9058-0E8A11FF153C.jpeg

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Ah - you are on the second screen after clicking More. When I go to the second screen, yes, I can move them easily. But on the first screen, they don't move. Plus how would I get the Facebook icon to appear if it's not already there? The first screen does not have the Airdrop part or the second row of icons.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Ah - you are on the second screen after clicking More. When I go to the second screen, yes, I can move them easily. But on the first screen, they don't move. Plus how would I get the Facebook icon to appear if it's not already there? The first screen does not have the Airdrop part or the second row of icons.
Nope, that’s the very first screen after tapping share. Didn’t tap more at all. Perhaps the YouTube app is completely different.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
screenshot icons.PNG

[doublepost=1517343366][/doublepost]So it is the Youtube app after all? When I go to Safari and choose the share icon, I get the customizable screen like you have. So the Youtube app must be causing a different screen to appear first. Odd.
[doublepost=1517344876][/doublepost]I tried deleting Youtube and reinstalling it, closing all apps and soft resetting my iPhone, no change. I could not find a way to change the initial screen from within the Youtube app or in the Youtube section of my phone's Settings. Must be a design flaw of the Youtube app. It should call up what I call the second screen initially when I press the share button, like Safari. Grr.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
View attachment 749229
[doublepost=1517343366][/doublepost]So it is the Youtube app after all? When I go to Safari and choose the share icon, I get the customizable screen like you have. So the Youtube app must be causing a different screen to appear first. Odd.
[doublepost=1517344876][/doublepost]I tried deleting Youtube and reinstalling it, closing all apps and soft resetting my iPhone, no change. I could not find a way to change the initial screen from within the Youtube app or in the Youtube section of my phone's Settings. Must be a design flaw of the Youtube app. It should call up what I call the second screen initially when I press the share button, like Safari. Grr.
Yep, that’s all on YouTube to fix it. Maybe just use YouTube.com on Safari until they change it.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Yep, that’s all on YouTube to fix it. Maybe just use YouTube.com on Safari until they change it.

Thanks - that's a good suggestion. The safari sharing button, not the youtube sharing button within the webpage, since that pulls up archaic sharing options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.