Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I’m a Brit living in Norway. I have all my Apple stuff in English and up until recently I had my region set to Norway but with language as English. Of course Apple being Apple if you are not in the UK or US you miss out on features. If I change my region to the UK even though I live in Norway, will I be screwed?

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
No because it doesn't matter where do you live at this moment and you can freely revert your region back to UK as it was before.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
No because it doesn't matter where do you live at this moment and you can freely revert your region back to UK as it was before.
I reside in Norway but I’m British but I just don’t want my notifications or apps to break because my regions don’t match (my Apple ID is Norwegian)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m a Brit living in Norway. I have all my Apple stuff in English and up until recently I had my region set to Norway but with language as English. Of course Apple being Apple if you are not in the UK or US you miss out on features. If I change my region to the UK even though I live in Norway, will I be screwed?
I live in the US, but my language is set to British English and my region to the UK.

However, my Apple ID and credit cards indicate US, so I have no issues. My app store is always the US version despite my region settings.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I live in the US, but my language is set to British English and my region to the UK.

However, my Apple ID and credit cards indicate US, so I have no issues. My app store is always the US version despite my region settings.
How does it affect Siri?

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
I reside in Norway but I’m British but I just don’t want my notifications or apps to break because my regions don’t match (my Apple ID is Norwegian)

I don't think that they will break and I am not sure what do you think when you say you are missing some features :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
American living in Japan; with my iPhone set to US Region I get access to News (which is great) and the TV app (which sucks, because none of my Japanese streaming apps actually work with it - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video - and so I'm left with an app that has pretty much the exact same functionality as the old Videos app, only it takes about five times as long to open! :mad:) ... no other functionality is lost or messed up. Oh and I'm using a Japanese iCloud account for my main iCloud stuff, and an American iTunes account for my main iTunes. With a handful of apps from a third, Japanese iTunes account. lol

Reactions: jpn

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
American living in Japan; with my iPhone set to US Region I get access to News (which is great) and the TV app (which sucks, because none of my Japanese streaming apps actually work with it - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video - and so I'm left with an app that has pretty much the exact same functionality as the old Videos app, only it takes about five times as long to open! :mad:) ... no other functionality is lost or messed up. Oh and I'm using a Japanese iCloud account for my main iCloud stuff, and an American iTunes account for my main iTunes. With a handful of apps from a third, Japanese iTunes account. lol
Thanks. I’ve changed it to the UK and my tv app still shows Norwegian shows so that’s good. Hopefully I won’t be screwed over :)

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

I had to set my iPhone to the Japanese region to get my Suica card in Mobile Wallet... however setting it back to US did not remove the suit card. Unfortunately I had to do a restore and the Suica didn't automatically reappear, it wasn't until after AFTER i set my region back to Japan that is showed up.

Reactions: jpn

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Nope, things will be fine.
I set my iDevices' region to US all the time since many features (even something like the News app) is not available in many regions. However, I think it does affect date formats (ie. you cannot have a separate setting for date formatting, Apple for whatever reason combined it with the region setting).

What more important is the region of your iTunes account. This will reflect on the availability of apps in the region of your account. There are developers that for whatever reason, still restrict the availability of their apps to certain regions (Jetstar, I'm looking at you).

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I had to set my iPhone to the Japanese region to get my Suica card in Mobile Wallet... however setting it back to US did not remove the suit card. Unfortunately I had to do a restore and the Suica didn't automatically reappear, it wasn't until after AFTER i set my region back to Japan that is showed up.
Yeah, I didn't mention this because I didn't think it was applicable to the OP's post, but yes - that's another PITA involved with region switching ... For me, setting up/restoring an iPhone (and now an Apple Watch 3, with it's own Suica) is actually a ridiculously complex process. I can't help but think it would be much easier if some of the engineers responsible for iOS development lived in Japan :rolleyes:

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, I didn't mention this because I didn't think it was applicable to the OP's post, but yes - that's another PITA involved with region switching ... For me, setting up/restoring an iPhone (and now an Apple Watch 3, with it's own Suica) is actually a ridiculously complex process. I can't help but think it would be much easier if some of the engineers responsible for iOS development lived in Japan :rolleyes:

It seems the Suica pass can’t reside on more than one device at a time. So you have to transfer it to your Apple Watch when you want to use it and back when you want to use your phone. This is a serious PITA. It doesn’t seem like the region matters for this process.

Did you create two separate Suica cards in your wallet? One for the phone and one for the watch? Could you make a thread with details please.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
It seems the Suica pass can’t reside on more than one device at a time. So you have to transfer it to your Apple Watch when you want to use it and back when you want to use your phone. This is a serious PITA. It doesn’t seem like the region matters for this process.

Did you create two separate Suica cards in your wallet? One for the phone and one for the watch? Could you make a thread with details please.
Norway doesn’t have Apple Pay yet unfortunately

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Norway doesn’t have Apple Pay yet unfortunately

Hmm The Suica pass doesn't require apple pay. it's a cash card and you load it up at the station or a local connivance store. you have the option of using apple pay to recharge it but it's not required.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hmm The Suica pass doesn't require apple pay. it's a cash card and you load it up at the station or a local connivance store. you have the option of using apple pay to recharge it but it's not required.
Ah we don’t have anything like that in Norway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.