Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
folks, I have moved from 6s to Max and inmediately to Xs. I notices that on xs the screen will change the color from a bit blueish to yellowish depending on the angle. No true tone is on. Is it normal? Is it OLED?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes it is "normal" (they all do it) but unacceptable.

To put this crap into perspective, its like buying expensive Michelin tires for your car and feeling strong vibration when driving on the freeway. .. Then going to a Michelin forum and asking about it ... and everyone tell you it's "normal", suck it up.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Yes it is "normal" (they all do it) but unacceptable.

To put this crap into perspective, its like buying expensive Michelin tires for your car and feeling strong vibration when driving on the freeway. .. Then going to a Michelin forum and asking about it ... and everyone tell you it's "normal", suck it up.

I’m starting to wonder why manufacturers use OLED at all. They use more power (even though for years during their development we were told they would use less), there are color shifts when viewing off-center, backlight flicker causing eye strain, pixels have to share elements with neighboring pixels, burn-in... Sure, the contrast is better. And colors are more vibrant. But at what cost? Seems like LED-backlit LCD is the way to go until OLED technology is more mature.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I am using my phone for 2 days and coming from LCD. Cannot get used to it....it is always changing...sometimes more yellow, sometimes more blue/green tint. But looks like the whole world is ok with it...does it not disturb?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am using my phone for 2 days and coming from LCD. Cannot get used to it....it is always changing...sometimes more yellow, sometimes more blue/green tint. But looks like the whole world is ok with it...does it not disturb?

Go back to LCD as there is noth8ng you can do to change this characteristic of the display technology.

It seems to “bother” some more than others. I tend to look directly at my screen and even when not, the color Clift is not an issue to me.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Not complaining, just trying to learn and understand. Sometimes when you see something different, you try to understnd is this is a technical issue with your phone or a normal thing for all

prithvi64

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Yes. I have also noticed changing of colours. Initially, I thought yellowishness is because sensor might not be sensing whether it's day or night.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Yes. I have also noticed changing of colours. Initially, I thought yellowishness is because sensor might not be sensing whether it's day or night.
Could be, but I do not have true tone switched on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.