Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm trying to change the Time Machine Backup of a Mac Pro running on Mavericks from unencrypted to encrypted on a Time Capsule. I've already figured out that it isn't possible to convert an existing backup to encrypted.

I want to create a new backup to the Time Capsule without deleting the old backup. I just want the old one to sit their unused until I decide to delete it. How can I do this?

When I remove the Time Capsule and add it back for an encrypted backup. My only options are "Choose a Different Disk", "Erase Existing Backup" or "Use Unencrypted Backup".

I've tried changing the name of the Mac Pro to no avail. How can I hide the existing backup from Time Machine so that it will just give up and create a new backup? I don't recall this being a problem when using external hard drives. Now all the computers use the Time Capsule and I don't want to lose the old backup history.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Why not just attach an external USB hard drive to your time capsule (formatted as Apple Extended Format (Journalled)) and direct your new backups to the external drive?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Why not just attach an external USB hard drive to your time capsule (formatted as Apple Extended Format (Journalled)) and direct your new backups to the external drive?
I'm doing the work remotely. I have no physical access.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
This is just a guess, and I don't know if it would work, but you could try zipping the existing sparse bundle, then delete the unzipped copy. Presumably Time Machine would not recognize the zipped copy and would start a fresh backup.
[doublepost=1475874515][/doublepost]Or, get the user to buy an external hard drive and plug it into the TC. You could do the rest remotely. This is probably a better solution, because with two full backups on the TC the user is likely to run out of room for incremental backups pretty soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.