Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Apple are following some kind of standard; That if you connect something digitally (eg HDMI or DisplayPort) the sound volume should be altered on the digital device (at least, this is what I've read about it).

I bought a monitor that connects via DisplayPort. It has built in speakers. I cannot change or mute the volume on this monitor from the keyboard because of the above. This is extremely stupid and makes my life a lot harder.

I have tried some applications (Soundflower and Audio Mate) but the issue isn't resolved.

Do any of you have an advice? I mean, there shurely *must* be a way to override this (you are after all able to change volume from within many applications)!? I am willing to pay money for a third party app that solves this problem. According to Google, we are quite a lot that wants this.

I have written feedback to Apple, but I'm sure they don't care about this (they are quite narrow-minded when it comes to standards, which normally is good thing)...

Any help is welcome, this is driving me nuts!

/andreas

[MBP 15" 2011, OS X 10.11.4, Samsung S34E790C Curved 34" 21:9]

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The only app that works around this is Sound Siphon AFAIK... $40. I used the Demo to try it out, it really works well.

But, as it would be a one-trick app for my use as in listening to music while I work, I used that coin to pay down on a bit of Schiit - a Modi 2 Uber.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Yes, that's the app - but, download the demo from the developer's web site. The demo doesn't have all of its features enabled - I think - but it does have the one feature you're looking for enabled. The setup was really simple in that in the app's Preferences I simply chose the "Displayport" output in the pulldown menu. Really, QED, and it worked immediately, with no lag, and without a reboot.

I know that I wrote that I opted for an amp/DAC instead, but you could look at the $39 price as being a lot cheaper than a couple of hours of therapy! :D And, I'm helping with "output" - not "input"!

Reactions: carlsson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.