Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
Hi,

I’m thinking of buying a capture card to connect my Switch/PS5 to my iPad Pro while I’m at my desk to do some gaming on the side. I would love to be able to keep my iPad charged while doing so though.

I’ve been looking at the ASUS TUF Gaming Capture Box since it’s got good specs and is widely available where I live.

Will it work to plug the iPad in with an HDMI cable through the Apple USB-C Digital Multiport Adapter?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I asked this question in various websites and didn't get any solid answers or capture cards that are able to charge the iPad while outputting video. Have you found anything?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The main purpose of Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is to get a HDMI signal out of the iPad.
And yes, this adapter simultaneously charges the iPad if a power supply is connected to the USB-C socket of the adapter.
This is completely independent of any capture card (or display) that is then connected via HDMI.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi,

I’m thinking of buying a capture card to connect my Switch/PS5 to my iPad Pro while I’m at my desk to do some gaming on the side. I would love to be able to keep my iPad charged while doing so though.

I’ve been looking at the ASUS TUF Gaming Capture Box since it’s got good specs and is widely available where I live.

Will it work to plug the iPad in with an HDMI cable through the Apple USB-C Digital Multiport Adapter?
The USB-C Digital Multiport adapter doesn't work as a capture card- it only provides HDMI output from the iPad and the USB-C port on the adapter is for power only. You could use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock and plug the USB-C capture card into that and then connect the dock to the iPad, or if you have a Magic Keyboard, you can charge using the keyboard's USB-C port and plug the capture card directly into the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.