Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Both MacBook Pro 2020 model and mini 6 are USB C compliant. Can I charge my mini 6 with my MacBooks charger and vice versa? My guess would be no and I would fry MacBook or Ipad if I tried. But then again I may be wrong.

Reactions: sam_dean

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
Both MacBook Pro 2020 model and mini 6 are USB C compliant. Can I charge my mini 6 with my MacBooks charger and vice versa? My guess would be no and I would fry MacBook or Ipad if I tried. But then again I may be wrong.
I have charged my 16" MBP with an iPad brick for convenience, it works.

The device should limit the max amt of power it takes. They test up to 96W with the iPhones. You won't fry anything

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Devices control their power input on the device side - you won't fry them. I use a couple of 65W chargers for everything.
Back in the handheld PC days I plugged a laptop charger into the HPC and fried it. It cost allot of money to replace as Windows CE was expensive in those days.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I use 60-120W multi-port chargers for my devices. Works fine.

I have the chargers plugged into a TP-Link smart power strip with energy monitoring.

Max power draw from the wall are as follows:

mini 6 20W
2021 Pro 11 30W
2021 Pro 12.9 38W

I’ve never paid attention to the max draw on the Air 4. Gonna check it out one of these days.

Reactions: sparksd

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Yet, I still wonder about the claim of universal compatibility…

There is some conflicting information on Apple's support pages. Or, perhaps, it is an inadvertent omission — but it gives me pause…

For example, as to Apple's new 35 watt dual charger, there is a list of compatible devices — iPhones, iPads, and Macs — but it does NOT include the iPhone SE 1st generation (2016) or the iPad Air 2! Yet, both are USB-C! It does list, however, the 2nd and 3rd Gen SE — and the Air 3 through 5. Such specificity raises questions.

See list under Compatibility menu:

So, can anyone confirm from actual testing whether it works with those two devices?

Under the Mac chargers, it only lists Macs that are compatible, and ignores the iPhones and iPads entirely, so whether there are some models of i-devices that won't work is unclear.

A quick browse of Apple's support pages turned up nothing on this — except for an amusing Q & A where someone stuck an iPad charger in their mouth and lost the ability To charge their iPad!

Tongue on lamppost during winter, anyone?! 😎

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So, can anyone confirm from actual testing whether it works with those two devices?
Apple official support message sometimes are just ridiculous and don’t really give you much information anyways. I use my 67W MacBook Pro charger for iPad charging and battery back charging for some time and neither has issues so far.

So, chances are, both of those devices can be recharged by that charger.

Reactions: thv and sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.