Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Hi,

I was just wondering if it is normal that Apple not only blocked but actually charged me for an express exchange (I have AppleCare+). I was under the impression that they would only block my card (in case I do not return the faulty item) but I sent it back and they still charged my card in the meantime. Is that normal? I am confused because I thought they would only block the card unless I do not return it within 10 business days (I actually returned it within 2 days and it was also received by Apple).

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
okay, I guess they will inspect the faulty item now and once "approved", they will refund it? I remember in the past the blocked amount would simply disappear after a week, not actually charge me

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
I think so. Never actually used express replacement/exchange, I just read it from the Apple site haha

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
In Germany they only block, you only get charged if you don´t send the old phone back.
IMHO it´s the same process everywhere on the world, therefore something is wrong with your exchange process...

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
They usually 'hold' the funds on your card and it will be shown on your card as 'pending'.
It will be charged if the item is not received by them. Once the item is received and checked, the hold will be released.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
In Germany they only block, you only get charged if you don´t send the old phone back.
IMHO it´s the same process everywhere on the world, therefore something is wrong with your exchange process...

Yep, I was charged after it was only blocked for a few days (sat to wed).

Saturday: Requested repair + amount (409€) blocked. Payment page did state 0€ + 409€ blocked in case faulty item isn’t received within 10 days
Wednesday: received replacement / same day block changed to actually being charged
Thursday: Apple received the faulty item (confirmed by Apple repair status update)

Maybe I’ll get the refund once the green bar has reached its final step?

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 47

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Hi,

I was just wondering if it is normal that Apple not only blocked but actually charged me for an express exchange (I have AppleCare+). I was under the impression that they would only block my card (in case I do not return the faulty item) but I sent it back and they still charged my card in the meantime. Is that normal? I am confused because I thought they would only block the card unless I do not return it within 10 business days (I actually returned it within 2 days and it was also received by Apple).
Same thing happened when I got my replacement a few months ago. It’s normal, and they even tell you that’s exactly what’s going to happen when you’re ordering the replacement. The charge will disappear.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Same thing happened when I got my replacement a few months ago. It’s normal, and they even tell you that’s exactly what’s going to happen when you’re ordering the replacement. The charge will disappear.

Nope, the e-mail said the „blocked“ amount would disappear. In my case they literally have to do a refund because the amount was charged NOT only blocked

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Nope, the e-mail said the „blocked“ amount would disappear. In my case they literally have to do a refund because the amount was charged NOT only blocked
I’ve never heard this term “blocked” before but mine looked like a pending charge, then a few days later it changed to $100. If you’re that concerned you could just call them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.