Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Anybody else having an issue with charging the AirPods' case? When I got in my car after buying them yesterday, I plugged them into my car with an Anker cable and let it sit for a bit to top up. After a while, I checked it and it never charged at all. I had a portable charger and a little keychain cable so I tried that and it started charging.

Last night, when I got home, I plugged them into my official Apple iPad charger overnight. Woke up about an hour ago and checked. They never charged. I tried another official Apple cable that I use to charge my iPhone and it wasn't charging either. Plugged it back into my portable charger and it started charging fine. It seems that's the only way I can get this thing to charge.

Anyone else having any issues charging the AirPods case? It also sucks that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell when it's actually charging except by opening it up and holding it next to my iPhone.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Seems like you have a defective one. I think you can see if its charging or not in the batteries widget on iOS 10, but that might be just for the airpods them self.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
it would be nice if you could get the battery information without having to open the lid on the charging case

Reactions: Channan

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Seems like you have a defective one. I think you can see if its charging or not in the batteries widget on iOS 10, but that might be just for the airpods them self.
When I open the lid, it shows if it's charging on the thing that pops up on the screen but now I can't get it to charge at all.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I had this issue on PC. Couldn't charge it but after installing the driver it worked. It sucks that so many people are having issues.
I never even tried plugging it into my computer. I'm just plugging it directly into the wall. I'll try my computer now.

EDIT: Nope. Didn't work either. But my portable charger and keychain cable started working again.

This is a pain in the booty.

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Well, yesterday evening I received my AirPods. But the right AirPod proximity sensor isn't working. Well it is working for the first 30 seconds after paring, but then the play-pause function doesn't work any longer and when I pull out my left pod, it shuts down completely as if I removed both pods. Funny is that also the double tap for Siri doesn't work.
So for now I turned off the automatic ear detection and then they work perfectly. Well except the play-pause function when you pull them out.
So I hope they will send me just a right new pod and not let me return the complete set. Despite the malfunctioning right ear pod I do like this set for their lightness, compactness, easy of use and decent sound.

Except when you're endless on hold between different departments at the apple support phone lines where the quality of the music is abysmal. Good lord, they have Apple Music, Beats, all kinds of sound and music, but the quality of the audio is really a new form of torture. Please can we go back to a simple beep once every 10 seconds?!! Please??

Edit: they are sending the new AirPods on feb. 6th :( But until that time I can keep my current AirPods, I don't need to send in my current AirPods before they are replacing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Channan

Anti-Dentite

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
So trying to charge them on my mac at the moment. The widget says it's charging but the battery percentage ramains the same even after half an hour. Will try the wall charger tonight but I dont see why it wouldn't charge from the macs usb port

Edit:
Just tried wall charger and it's not working. So my airpods will be dead for good in a couple of hours. TBH I'm pretty pissed after that long of a delay.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
So trying to charge them on my mac at the moment. The widget says it's charging but the battery percentage ramains the same even after half an hour. Will try the wall charger tonight but I dont see why it wouldn't charge from the macs usb port

Edit:
Just tried wall charger and it's not working. So my airpods will be dead for good in a couple of hours. TBH I'm pretty pissed after that long of a delay.
I'm glad I have my portable charger and that cheap keychain cable I got off of eBay because that's still the only combination I've found that will charge my case. I tried plugging other cables (official Apple ones) into the portable charger. No bueno. I tried plugging the keychain cable into the wall and my computer. Same thing.

It only works with an unofficial cable and a portable charger, but even that doesn't always work.

Anti-Dentite

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
I'm glad I have my portable charger and that cheap keychain cable I got off of eBay because that's still the only combination I've found that will charge my case. I tried plugging other cables (official Apple ones) into the portable charger. No bueno. I tried plugging the keychain cable into the wall and my computer. Same thing.

It only works with an unofficial cable and a portable charger, but even that doesn't always work.

Well I would still get a replacement from them since it sounds like they're defective. I just called Apple and will get mine replaced in january. But very unpleasent experience after waiting 2 months.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Well I would still get a replacement from them since it sounds like they're defective. I just called Apple and will get mine replaced in january. But very unpleasent experience after waiting 2 months.
Only slight hope is that they reset when the battery is completely depleted?! I talked to the Apple support guy and he confirmed there is no way to reset these, but I guess a full power depletion will reset them.
It does suck, I looked really forward to them, but it's really a pity when they don't perform like they should.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
Only slight hope is that they reset when the battery is completely depleted?! I talked to the Apple support guy and he confirmed there is no way to reset these, but I guess a full power depletion will reset them.
It does suck, I looked really forward to them, but it's really a pity when they don't perform like they should.
This has to be just a hardware fault mine charge from an apple iPhone wall charger, iPad wall charger, 20.000 mah battery brick, zoom windows 10 PC and my mb 2016 multi port adapter.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Finally got around to trying the cable that came with the AirPods. That didn't work either. Guess I need to hit up an Apple Store again. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.