Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoninBarber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Hi. I’m looking into buying AirPods Pro and I was wondering if I could charge them using a normal USB to Lightning cable instead of the included USB C to Lightning.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
Apple says if you charge the APP wirelessly, you can tap the case to see the charging level (light). Tried yesterday, didn't work. Don't know exactly what they meant. Clues?

Reactions: chris4565

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Apple says if you charge the APP wirelessly, you can tap the case to see the charging level (light). Tried yesterday, didn't work. Don't know exactly what they meant. Clues?
Tapping the case to see the light doesn’t work, or wirelessly charging doesn’t work?

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
Tapping the case to see the light doesn’t work, or wirelessly charging doesn’t work?
Wireless charging works.
"If you have AirPods Pro, you can tap the case when it's on the charging mat to see whether your AirPods Pro are charging (amber light) or fully charged (green light)." <-- This doesn't.

I mean if "tapping" means taking it off the charger and putting it back on, that doesn't make sense it's "only" for AirPods Pro.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
The tap needs to be quite substantial in my experience. I was tapping too lightly at first and got nothing, then tried with more force and it worked.

Reactions: chris4565

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
The tap needs to be quite substantial in my experience. I was tapping too lightly at first and got nothing, then tried with more force and it worked.
I tried yesterday and it did indeed show the red light when i tapped harder. However, it seems like the light won’t respond once the case is fully charged (no white light)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
My iphones will charge on my Belkin charging pad, albeit at 5W but I can't get the airpods pro case to charge at all. It blinks ORANGE, then nothing happens.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
My iphones will charge on my Belkin charging pad, albeit at 5W but I can't get the airpods pro case to charge at all. It blinks ORANGE, then nothing happens.
My mophie one works perfectly with both gen 2 and pro. i believe it supports fast charging tho so not sure if that makes a difference.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010

i don’t think the orange light stays on. I think it shows orange to show that the case is not fully charged only for a few seconds when you first put it on the mat, and the turns off while charging.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
i don’t think the orange light stays on. I think it shows orange to show that the case is not fully charged only for a few seconds when you first put it on the mat, and the turns off while charging.
Mine never seems to charge. I can’t figure out if it’s the case or the charger

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but similar to iPhone, should one attempt to keep the charging case battery from dipping too low?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Mine never seems to charge. I can’t figure out if it’s the case or the charger
So, after leaving it on the charger for a while (say overnight), the light never turns green on your case? While it's siting on the charging mat, what do you see if you double tap the outside of the case (tap it hard). The light should light up to give you status (Green = fully charged). What does the iPhone/iPad you use them with say when you flip the Airpod Pro case lid open, and the overlay comes up on the screen with the battery levels?

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
I'm also having issues. I left them on a wireless charging mat overnight last night, woke up this morning and they haven't charged at all. To check the mat works, I put my iPhone 11 on it and it began charging fine.

Anyone getting anywhere with this?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I'm also having issues. I left them on a wireless charging mat overnight last night, woke up this morning and they haven't charged at all. To check the mat works, I put my iPhone 11 on it and it began charging fine.

Anyone getting anywhere with this?
Yeah, that is my experience too. It thinks it’s charging, but even after five hours it doesn’t show movement of the battery in the iPhone battery status screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.