Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Has anybody tried to use a 20W charger as their main charger for an M1 MBA and if so is it enough to at least use it plugged in under load without draining the battery, maybe even charge it a bit in the mean time?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Has anybody tried to use a 20W charger as their main charger for an M1 MBA and if so is it enough to at least use it plugged in under load without draining the battery, maybe even charge it a bit in the mean time?
I did on my M2 Air and it was fine for web browsing and just normal use. It kept it at 100%. Of course I'm sure if you're doing video editing or running benchmarks it would need more than 20 watts.

I would caution using it as your everyday charger though. I'm no expert on electronics but maybe it could have a negative effect on the battery after a while. I don't think using it occasionally wouldn't hurt it though.

Reactions: Scarrus

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I have been using a Ryobi power source (which according to my USB-C power meter puts out 27.3W) on a 2019 i5 MBP that came with a 61W charger. It will run normal tasks (youtube, web surfing etc) while charging the battery (albeit slowly).

An M1 MBA (which normally comes with a 30W charger) should be much more power efficient and will likely do as well.

Also, considering that my iPhone 12 is now in conservation mode (charging the battery slowly in the evening), it seems like charging slow shouldn't hurt your battery long term.

Reactions: Scarrus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.