Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello,

I have a few question regarding charging MacBook Pro 2017 with powerbank.

MacBook has USB-C...so if I will buy USB to USB-C cable and connect to every powerbank then will it work?

...or I have to use recommended for MacBook Pro powerbank?

How it looks like with it? Is it safe?

Rgds.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hello,

I have a few question regarding charging MacBook Pro 2017 with powerbank.

MacBook has USB-C...so if I will buy USB to USB-C cable and connect to every powerbank then will it work?

...or I have to use recommended for MacBook Pro powerbank?

How it looks like with it? Is it safe?

Rgds.

You need Powerbanks that support USB-PD. PD stands for Power Delivery. I have this RavPower and this Anker which both charge my 2017 13 inch MBP at close to 30W (and also can be recharged at close to 30W).

Some non USB-PD Powerbanks will probably charge it very slowly, or at least reduce the rate of discharge. They are limited to 5V, whereas the USB-PD spec Powerbanks use up to 20V

Caution: I have no experience of using my USB-PD Powerbanks on a 15" MBP.

USB-PD is only relevant to USB-C computers. It doesnt work through a standard USB-A port.

This is one of the less publicised benefits of USB-C

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
This BPack is rumored to be available soon, if you can stomach their asking price it seems like what you're looking for.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
How much charges will be allowed for 13 inch MacBook Pro?

Thats what I meant before, about 1.5x.

Did you mean the 13" MBP without Touch bar? The battery capacity of that is 54.5 Wh, so maybe 1.4x or so.

These are all approximate numbers.

Reactions: AjTee

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
BTW don't be fooled by "26,800 mAh". mAh is not a measure of battery capacity. The RavPower battery capacity is 99.16 Wh (watt-hours).

Strictly speaking, both Watt-hours and Amp-hours are measures of battery capacity though to your point an Amp-hour is a measure of electric charge and doesn't in itself include the voltage except by reference (e.g. 26,800mAh Li-Ion).

Still, they are directly convertible from one to the other provided you know the cell voltage involved, which for Li-Ion is usually 3.7V

Watt-hours = Amp-hours * Voltage

99.16Wh = 26.8Ah * 3.7V (an Amp-hour of course is 1000 milliAmp-hours)

More info on Li-Ion - https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

Last edited:
Reactions: AjTee

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
There is also the DELL pw7018lc usb battery pack, 65WH battery pack, capable of supplying PD power at 65W, so it can actually run a 13" at full power, and a 15" in most circumstances.

Which can be had around ~100 euro, a little pricier, but one of few battery packs that will deliver more than 30W, though it's tocal capacity is smaller than these ~100WH packs, so it depends on usage case scenario.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
There is also the DELL pw7018lc usb battery pack, 65WH battery pack, capable of supplying PD power at 65W, so it can actually run a 13" at full power, and a 15" in most circumstances.

For what it's worth, my MBP15 will maintain charge (and even charge very slowly) with a measly 12W source -- provided I'm just doing lightweight web / email / document editing.

I'd suggest that unless someone is doing super heavy blast-the-fans work, a 30W source would be sufficient for most stuff.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Ok, Guys one question.

Charged my MBP yesterday by RawPower, then connected for a night for charging via Micro USB cable connected to Blitzwolf multi charging adapter.

I woke up today and fourth indicator on RawPower was still blinking.

Then I connected it to USB-C MacSafe charger from Apple and it has charged and all LEDs turned off.

I have a question means that USB-C MacSafe charges a lot faster then MicroUSB connected to multipart Blitzwolf USB charging adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.