Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I've been tasked with getting a relative a charging mat (not a stand, a mat; minimum 2 charging spots) for Christmas. Most of the user reviews indicate they fail after a period of time, overheat/overheat the iPhone or AirPods, might burn your house down, or more importantly only charge one item well or all of them poorly. It's making me a bit cynical as an accessory item.

I hate the idea of buying one and it crapping out a few months from now. But I feel like I need to set all this aside and just find the best one I can and let the chips fall where they may. I've already procrastinated through Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I've even considered looking for a leftover, new in box Apple MagSafe Duo (although the reviews indicate they're not perfect either).

Any suggestions for a charging "mat?"

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Do you consider a charging ’mat’ to be a literally mat shape or just a charger that allows multiple devices? Lots of options on the Apple website if the latter.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Do you consider a charging ’mat’ to be a literally mat shape or just a charger that allows multiple devices? Lots of options on the Apple website if the latter.
They don't want it to have a 'stand' or something holding the iPhone up in the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.