Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Currently I have an Apple USB-C cable connected to my nightstand iMac that I use to charge my iPhone 15 Pro. I'm thinking of buying the Apple Magsafe charger and connect that instead to the iMac. What's the opinion here in 2024? Does it make the iPhone unnecessarily warm and just cause unnecessarily battery degradation? Or is there not much difference compared to an UCB-C cable? I don't know how many watt it charges the iPhone with when it's connected to the iMac anyway. For what's its worth, the iPhone has a magsafe case from Nudient.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
After my phone is 18 months old I usually get a battery replacement so i usually charge on whatever is available.

Battery replacement is relatively cheap saves the worry of battery degradation.

Reactions: G5isAlive

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
USB-C port will provide 15W. Standard wired charging is still preferred. It comes down to your individual risk tolerance for battery health.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Only once have I 'had' to replace a battery in a phone after almost always charging overnight... and that phone was 3 years old and still worked well but this was the time of the Apple Battery Controversy and even though its health was 82% they replaced it on the cheap.

But Apple is aware people are obsessive about this so they have incorporated software that detects your routines and only charges your device to 80% until right before you need it, then tops it to 100.

Life is too short to obsess on battery life.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Been leaving my iPhone charging on s Magsafe puck all night ever since Magsafe became available. Never an issue with overheating or anything else.

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
I always charge my phones at night. I have had my current iPhone since March 2023, it has only been charged with MagSafe and my battery capacity is still at 100%. I don't understand the hysteria that MagSafe should wear out the battery faster - that's not what I'm experiencing.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
I always charge my phones at night. I have had my current iPhone since March 2023, it has only been charged with MagSafe and my battery capacity is still at 100%. I don't understand the hysteria that MagSafe should wear out the battery faster - that's not what I'm experiencing.
I think it just depends on the circumstances. I know I've used some wireless chargers where the phone gets really hot. That probably has an impact on battery longevity. If you stick with the Apple chargers, you should be fine.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
MagSafe for the win. Most folks usually upgrade there devices every 2yrs anyways so it really doesn’t matter. Sleep well at night knowing your phone is on a MagSafe 🤓

Reactions: Hele
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.