Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceilidhnora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
So, I screwed up a little here. A few weeks ago, I dropped my iPad Pro (about 6 months old) and the charger bit broke off in the port. Since that is not covered by Apple, I brought it to a third party repair shop to repair it. They ended up opening the iPad and putting a new port in, however, the pieces they ordered were wrong, so the port sits too far back (so it still won't charge normally). They told me I should try to bring it to Apple, but if Apple opens it up they will see that there's an aftermarket piece in there. Plus, I Figure if I gloss over the third party repair, and just tell Apple that it isn't charging, they'll assume it's the battery (even though it's not). Should I try to order the piece for the iPad myself, or should I bring it to another repair shop? Any other suggestions to salvage this situation are appreciated!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would suggest that you give the first repair shop the opportunity to attempt a fix?
Maybe you can "allow" them to replace your iPad, as they screwed up the first repair.

Reactions: Peter K.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
So, I screwed up a little here. A few weeks ago, I dropped my iPad Pro (about 6 months old) and the charger bit broke off in the port. Since that is not covered by Apple, I brought it to a third party repair shop to repair it. They ended up opening the iPad and putting a new port in, however, the pieces they ordered were wrong, so the port sits too far back (so it still won't charge normally). They told me I should try to bring it to Apple, but if Apple opens it up they will see that there's an aftermarket piece in there. Plus, I Figure if I gloss over the third party repair, and just tell Apple that it isn't charging, they'll assume it's the battery (even though it's not). Should I try to order the piece for the iPad myself, or should I bring it to another repair shop? Any other suggestions to salvage this situation are appreciated!
If they still have your original port, get a Q-tip and cut off one end and apply super glue to the end and push in the port. Allow the glue to set then pull out offending piece. Yes, I have actually done this. Also, while it seems dangerous, what do you have to lose?

EDIT: Now that I think about it more, I actually performed this repair on the headphone jack of an iPad, not the lightning port. However, I still think it's a good idea to try (if the original port still "exists").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.