Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
UK
I know I’ve seen other threads on here about issues with charging via the Magic Keyboard’s pass through charging, but I’m having an odd issue.

Using an Anker PD charger and cable I am able to charge my iPad Pro (2020) via the USB-C port on the iPad Pro no problem, but if I plug it into the USB-C pass through port on the Magic Keyboard I get the following issue:

- The iPad Pro starts charging and makes the charging noise
- After 2-3 seconds it stops charging
- Then the iPad Pro starts charging again, but ONLY for around 30-40 seconds
- Then the iPad Pro stops charging
- After 2-3 seconds it starts charging again, including charging sound

It then loops the above continuously which is very frustrating!
There is no issue with the charger/cable as I’ve charge various other items with it.

The only other cable I have to try with the iPad Pro / Magic Keyboard combination is the official Apple charger and cable and that works fine.

Anyone had the above same situation happen or anything similar? Advice?

Last edited:

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
UK

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I have seen this with phone chargers, wireless as well the wired ones. When the connector doesn’t quite seat properly it begins to charge but you will subsequently hear that sound as if you just plugged it in again. The charging cord I use goes into my iPad Pro with no issues but I have to be very careful when I plug it into the keyboard case itself. The port is somewhat obstructed by the case itself so a connector that has a slightly larger area around it may not seat properly. That’s the situation with mine, but as long as I pay attention when I plug it in I can seat it properly and do not have that issue. Anyway using another cord usually solves it. With wireless chargers I’ve seen this happen with a phone case. The phone starts to charge but something about the case is not allowing a complete connection. Either removing the case or sometimes turning the phone from vertical to horizontal will fix it.

Reactions: SimonMScott

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Interesting....

I’ve tried a large variety of different cables and chargers and I seem to be getting lots of strange reseults.

My Anker cables and charger seem to charge the iPad Pro (without the Magic Keyboard attached) perfectly fine but as soon as I attach the Magic Keyboard and try to charge via the USB-C port on the keyboard problems start to occur.

I’ve tried everything else and the results are so odd, I’m still not sure what to make of it?

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Interesting....

I’ve tried a large variety of different cables and chargers and I seem to be getting lots of strange reseults.

My Anker cables and charger seem to charge the iPad Pro (without the Magic Keyboard attached) perfectly fine but as soon as I attach the Magic Keyboard and try to charge via the USB-C port on the keyboard problems start to occur.

I’ve tried everything else and the results are so odd, I’m still not sure what to make of it?

Have you found a solution to your issue?

I am experiencing the same issue, when iPad is docked onto the MK and charge directly onto the iPad. I was using a Samsung usb c charging block and a IKEA usb c cable.

Systemlord

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2022
I’m having the same problem, whenever my iPad Pro 12.9 is connected to my Magic Keyboard, battery indicator is black and not charging. I took my Magic Keyboard to Apple and they diagnosed it as defective and are in the process of replacing it.

The keyboard backlighting, and track pad stop working at times. If I don’t use the Magic Keyboard to charge my iPad, I don’t have these charging problem. All three of these issues can be temporarily fixed by unplugging the charging cable and or removing and replacing the iPad onto the Magic Keyboard.

I use the Apple supplied charging block (20W) and cables to charge my iPad Pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.