Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meshaun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2021
Hi people!
I bought the MBA 2020 M1 and I am loving it.
Even though I have the charger and the cable that came with it, I am shifting home to work and vice versa daily. So, I was thinking, I need a secondary charge option when at Home, to leave the charger at office as is.

I have a Mi Power Bank 18W and since it has a Type C port output, I was able to charge the MBA once. Well, I know that the MBA comes with 30W charging, but does it only make the charging time twice longer?

Also, I have the Type C cable and usual chargers for the phone (33W charger).

My question is, should I only use the 30W Charger and the Apple Cable or is it safe to use the powerbank or the phone charger with the original cable?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, the power bank will work safely to charge the MacBook Air. I use a Xiaomi 30,000 mAh bank with the same 18W output. But even an affordable 20W Anker charger will keep the notebook running.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
the power bank will work, but it is extremely inefficient to charge this way, meaning charge a battery to charge a battery ...

Reactions: Wackery
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.