Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Disappointed that none of the ThinkPad W540 CPUs theoretically support 64GiB RAM according to Intel.

Although let's hope that only reflects the maximum density that existed upto now.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The PC market is shrinking, so Intel is losing a lot of money and therefore, they really have no incentive to rush to the next upgrade.

And there is no better way of screwing yourself over than by delaying things on the PC front.

If you want to make the PC the best is can be and show just how poor everything else is, you want to storm ahead like a powerhouse.
Not slow down and confirm that it's not advancing.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And there is no better way of screwing yourself over than by delaying things on the PC front.

If you want to make the PC the best is can be and show just how poor everything else is, you want to storm ahead like a powerhouse.
Not slow down and confirm that it's not advancing.

Offer people expensive crippled throwaway computers with less storage and slower or barely faster CPUs than what they already have and it's no wonder they are not buying.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Yep, 17+ inch please. Mine is getting old and when it breaks, i'm going to be forced to buy whatever available 17+ inch laptop exists. In our work, our computers have to be portable and 15 inch is just too damn small. 17 inch is really too small, but acceptable, really 18 or 19 inch would be better.

Some of us have to do more than check email, tweet, and create presentations.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Really doubtful as the GPU is still nVidia GT 750M which has been surpassed in terms of speed and power consumption.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
imo the main reason they didn't put the 850m is because its just a refresh , look they know most people are waiting for broad well , so why split the attention and give the refresh an 850m , when you can make the next update something so valuable/powerful that even people that have the 2012 rMB or 2013 rMB would want to buy it , its all a marketing scheme , you make people wait and build up for something great they know is coming in 2015 and you mass sell that device

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Does anybody know what timeframe this usually implies, and when the updated version will be available for purchase in Europe? I'll buy a MBPr this quarter and I want to know whether I should wait or not.
Well if the banner is from an official Apple Retail Store and the update is not imminent and if Apple didn't deliberately leak this then I would think someone at Apple will get in big trouble over this.

I don't think Apple would be likely to produce such banners till a launch is imminent (i.e. within the next few weeks).

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
May 3, 2014
by the time they come out with broadwell + 800 series gpu ... 900 series will be out.

apple is so delayed.

you can get an msi laptop with 870m for less than 1900$ on amazon.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Well if the banner is from an official Apple Retail Store and the update is not imminent and if Apple didn't deliberately leak this then I would think someone at Apple will get in big trouble over this.

I don't think Apple would be likely to produce such banners till a launch is imminent (i.e. within the next few weeks).

it was from an apple store that opened up this week somewhere in china , id assume its going to happen real soon like a 1-3 weeks

----------

by the time they come out with broadwell + 800 series gpu ... 900 series will be out.

apple is so delayed.

you can get an msi laptop with 870m for less than 1900$ on amazon.

unless they do an early-2015 broadwell with an 850m and a late-2015 with an 950m

xeni

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Really doubtful as the GPU is still nVidia GT 750M which has been surpassed in terms of speed and power consumption.

I really really hope so, coz I'm tired of having crappy graphics in Macbooks. All the other specs are just fine, but Apple always seem to skimp on the graphics card :(
Only the 17-inchs had decent graphics. I'm still using my 17 inch Early 2009 MBP with a dedicated NVIDIA 9600M GT gpu.
Such a shame they discontinued them :/

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm looking for a rMBP for BYOD to work and would like to get the updated 15" especially if it comes with 16GB. Hope we see this soon.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
If it has decent graphics and the 16GB ram standard, I'm there. Been holding off getting a new portable, but their current lineup leaves much to be desired.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
P.S. You totally blow your credibility when you bring the Apple TV into this. Apple has put a huge amount of work into getting new content for that device- nearly every week there are new channels. It is far from abandoned and gets better every day.

It also started as little more than a side project. It provided an additional use for idevice chips with less stringent performance requirements, thus cutting down on wasted silicon.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
...what kind of update is the magic mouse supposed to get? A better processor?

The iPod lines sales numbers are a clear reason why unless there is a significant paradigm shift, there is nothing that warrants upgrading the line.

As for the rest, these are products that will likely be updated by the holiday season.

The iPod Classic might finally get axed :)

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Too small.

Apple should have had a 20" laptop workstation by now.
I'm with you, but Apple has never shared my concerns.

Not trying to look cool at Starbucks, just want to get some work done.

Still, I'd settle for a 17" Revival, Non-Retina Please.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
You can scale up the resolution on the 15" Retina models to have the same screen real-estate (and even more) than the old 17" models.
Or you could squeeze your head in a vise till the 15" seemed bigger. Not the same thing.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Igzo

IGZO screen please. Need that extra kick to battery life. And a thinner/brighter display would be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.