Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
If they're bumping up the stock RAM on the MBP, then I wonder if Apple will finally show a willingness to bump up the RAM in the iPhone/iPad too?

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Nothing like paying premium prices for not so premium hardwares. But but but dat aluminum casing doe.

name a PC laptop that has the following:
-nearly 3k resolution IPS panel with excellent color gamut coverage
-7-8 hour battery with automatic graphics switching between integrated and dedicated pending on app demand
-unibody construction, not the plastic cheap **** that flexes and bends
-PCI-E based SSD (800mb/s read/write)
-thunderbolt 2 ports

Pro tip: you cant.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
-7-8 hour battery with automatic graphics switching between integrated and dedicated pending on app demand
-thunderbolt 2 ports

Well said haha. Here is the last point: OS X :D:apple:

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
If this is true I'm disappointed they haven't upgraded the 750m to the 850m. It has been 278 days since the last update and other manufacturers have been shipping 8xx series GPU's on their notebooks for months. :(

Yes, my kids felt offended when I offered them with rMBP (both for gaming & schools), they were furious! I had to settle them with MSI Dominator Pro PS2 G70 with 32 GB RAM,gtx 880m costed me nearly $700-900 less!

Scz

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Does no one else see that this is obviously one of Apple's retail store iPad smart signs? I'd be pretty skeptical claiming this to be some sort of leak.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Does no one else see that this is obviously one of Apple's retail store iPad smart signs? I'd be pretty skeptical claiming this to be some sort of leak.

this is the original article has it , its from the new store that opened up this weekend in china . the guy that posted said he asked what it was and the people said it was " an system error" , but if it was a system error how on earth did it know exactly the new haswell refresh specs and have the right prices

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I totally agree with you but Intel will easily bankrupt themselves if they don't make money off the advances they're making.

Not to mention, the market has been declining for the past 4 years, this isn't news to anybody. Getting Broadwell out right now doesn't change anything, it's not going to get the market out of the decline.

Trust me, Apple, GF, TMSC, Samsung, or other fabs can't do this better than Intel. These fabs are starting from a weaker position and when they get to Intel's levels, they'll run into the same thing.

Right now, Intel probably would not do this again if they would open up their fabs for other companies to use.

Apple buying access to Intel's fab to build their A series of CPUs would be awesome and would help fund Intel's future work on fabs. Not to mention if Apple starts building their own GPUs later on, that's more work for Intel.

It is a limitation in the design they're using. They can't stack 4 sticks of RAMs in there, takes up too much space and may require more cooling that they don't want to compromise.

You'll see 32GB coming with DDR4, which can be denser and more power-efficent. Intel is not going to support DDR4 until Skylake in later 2015 or early 2016. However, seeing the delays they went through the last 2-3 years, it is likely late 2016 and early 2017 at this point.

2x8 GB soldered onboard, 2x8GB in slots... RAM chips don't consume much energy or emit much heat.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
-thunderbolt 2 ports

What's your point?

Name an apple laptop that has:

The 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
17.3" Full HD anti-glare LCD
GeForce GTX 880M DDR5 8GB
Exclusive Super RAID 2 with 3 SSD RAID0 with 1500MB/s reading speed!
32GB of RAM
Support for 3 External displays

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
What's your point?

32GB of RAM

And how much would this device cost? (Curious)

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
This doesn't even make me feel that bad after buying the current model 2 weeks ago...

Probably still would have waited if I knew that they were coming soon, but who knows how long it'll take for these to come out.

The same goes for me. I bought 15" base model two weeks ago. I would love to have 16GB. But I needed a new laptop.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Hopefully it won't be too long before we see an update to the 13" MBP. The lag on my mid 2013 MBA (4GB RAM) is starting to become irritating. I wouldn't mind selling it towards a something a little faster with a lot more memory.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
All I wanted was an 850M... Not even Broadwell just an 850M.
Never mind, Broadwell must be the slowest chip launch in Intel's history, it's like they are deliberately slowing developing :roll eyes:.

It's a significant drop in lithography/transistor size from 22 to 14 nm. As they push the densities ever higher it's bound to get harder and harder to achieve commercially viable rates of success.

Maybe you can make a 14 nm processor and pitch it to Apple if you think it's so easy.

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
What's your point?

32GB of RAM

If a specs at any design trade off gaming laptop is your idea of competition for the Macbook Pro, you've lost it.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
seems like another yawn update to me. Same GPU as before etc. If you have a MP pro retina its nothing worth considering - just getting slightly more on the non-BTO version. Just like the latest MB air an iMac "update"...well the iMac wasn't even an update though, just a downgrade.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
17-Inch please....

I'd prefer if they transitioned the current 15(.4)" to 16". If they reduce the bezels of which there seems to be some scope they wouldn't even have to increase the overall footprint that much. It seems like a natural progression for the 15" line. That and move the 13" to 14".

I loved my old 17" MacBook Pro but I don't think there's need to go back quite that big with the retina display. In other words, while I appreciate screen real estate I'm also cognisant of overall size and weight, with lighter always being better for a portable.

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
What's your point?

32GB of RAM

Only laptops for gamers has that like Alienware etc ... a macbook is for everything else

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
What's your point?

32GB of RAM

What is this nonsense about? Most of us aren't buying laptops for gaming, we have desktops for that. My laptop is for work and pleasure.

On a side note, my MacBook Pro does have a 4th Gen i7. It also has 8GB of RAM, which is more than I'll ever need. Full PCI-e SSD hard drive that boots and wakes in seconds. 3k "retina" display, with fantastic color reproduction that I haven't been able to duplicate on my desktop. Excellent battery life, and fantastic form and appearance.

If you're into 10-lb large plastic laptops that run games, then go for it. To each their own. Although you'll get a crappy gaming experience in comparison to desktop performance, and suffer in terms of battery life, weight, size, heat, and appearance.

Ultimately you'll have to decide if you want a device that does a few things extremely well, or one that does everything in a mediocre fashion.

----------

RAM is cheap, Macbook Pro should come with 16MB minimum by default, especially since its not user upgradable.

The boost from 8GB to 16GB will typically run you around $100 at retail prices. Not exactly trivial.

----------

Wish they'd add a dedicated gpu to the 13'' model as well.

Discrete GPU's for laptops are becoming more rare, with intel's rapid gains in integrated graphics technology. Broadwell will see even future discrete chips on Apple laptops, maybe none at all. The battery life and heat improvements are significant.

Although, honestly, the Iris Pro runs my retina 15" just fine. Granted I'm not gaming or editing video.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
This doesn't make much sense. I'd expect the minor refresh this year to include nVidia 800 series chips. That's the only significant upgrade they could really make until Intel ships Broadwell.

You want a minor refresh to come with a significant upgrade? I don't think that's possible.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why are you happy about that ? You must not own a modern car or have only a few gigs of crap music.:confused:

I'm not at all . I own 3 of them, love them. Just go used to having the rumour that they would axe it, anytime iPods were mentioned ;)

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
And how much would this device cost? (Curious)

Looks like an entry level model (i7 / 1080p / GTX 860M / 12GB / 1TB HDD) starts at 1250. (link). Throw in another $200 for 2x8GB RAM and $200 more for a 256 SSD drive and you're looking at $1650.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.