Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should AI (ex: ChatGPT / Bard) be allowed to continue driving forward without regulation?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Am Undecided

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Saw a few versions of this in my feeds this morning and after watching a few it does raise some serious thoughts.

Personally it does feel like we are reaching a tipping point not just in functionality but in morals and ethics. This has been a long time coming however our laws and regulations, irrespective of country, are lagging.

Kindly take the poll if you like but kindly express your thoughts and opinion of this.
Should we pause or …

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
We certainly need regulations on this, we are looking at both an amazing advancement in technology and a horrible time in technology.

To me AI is that huge next leap in technology, we are still able to slowly make components smaller and smaller, but it is certainly slowing down because I imagine it is extremely difficult, but AI could further help with efficiency so that our machines are better put to use. Do things that a human could do, but maybe take one or team much longer just because it can run 24/7 and be as efficient as possible. I also don't mean things like replacing people, but assisting so that we can move to the next step, tech, whatever much faster.

But...between AI and something like Deep Fakes we are looking at tech that can further divide us against each other, because we will not know who is real behind the screen or if what was said modified in anyway and I know any new technology or in general will always get people using it for bad reasons, but something about this combination just seems potentially very horrible in what could be the result of nefarious use.

Reactions: dk001

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Companies and research groups in the West might pause for the sake of ethical concerns, but I doubt others will. Whatever dangers it might have, the potential value of AI is too great.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
"Still, it could be worse"
Will find out. I can see them as savior from scammers, "dodgy pants", unfair ones, etc.
Big Guys know what to do and how to deal with some problems. But for future being we (interesting question who "We") must do....if only to know clearly what.

And taking the opportunity I would like to say I have no appeals on AI, Skynet, Radnet and Henry Eden

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Companies and research groups in the West might pause for the sake of ethical concerns, but I doubt others will. Whatever dangers it might have, the potential value of AI is too great.

That was one of the take-aways I took from watching a couple of vids on this; Big Tech is driving AI with no regulatory or ethical oversight, except their own. IMO there should be at minimum some guidelines around the implementation of AI. It will drastically change things and that change has already started.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
No, plus 6 months pause is pointless and won't do anything.

We will adapt as to everything else so far. But I would like to see copyright laws updated, so many artists out there got their works fed to the image generators like Midjourney without consent, plus company behind Midjourney is monetizing their service which adds insult to injury.

Copyright is why music AI is still not that impressive as image AI, copyright laws related to music are no joke. You can't just scrape everything from Beatles, Pink Floyd, Nirvana... and so forth and so on, you would find yourself in trouble pretty quick.

And Skynet isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.