Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sibilance7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
I do a lot of reading as a grad student, so I have this book stand that I picked up from Staples. I was using it tonight and wondered whether it would make a good iPad stand since it's something I already have. I tried it out and it worked pretty well. If you're just watching a movie or something on the iPad, you can simply set it on the stand and you're good to go. If you want to type, however, you need to make some adjustments or else your hands run into the lip that holds the iPad and it's very annoying. What I did was flip the two little page holder tabs up, but not all the way. This provided a surface along the back of the iPad to prevent it from sitting all the way at the back edge of the lip, but still provided enough of a surface along the bottom to hold it. It's not the most beautiful solution, but it meets every single one of my criteria, which no other stand (to my knowledge) does:
-It holds the iPad while it's on my lap because it has a wide rear panel that won't slip in between my legs like the single legs most other cases have.
-It is very adjustable with seven different slots to adjust the angle (the site says 9, but the two slots on either end aren't really usable on mine, so I'm calling it seven).
-It will hold my iPad in its Portenzo case.
-It's super portable - it folds completely flat. I always carry it in my backpack anyway to use with books so there's nothing additional I have to carry for the iPad.

The only other stand that I thought was an option was the Skadoosh, but as far as I can tell it won't hold the iPad in the Portenzo because it makes it too thick. I don't want to remove my iPad from the case to use a stand, plus the Skadoosh is pretty expensive.

Here's the link: http://www.staples.com/Fellowes-Copy-Holder-Booklite-Platinum/product_411327?cmArea=sku_pd_box2

Mine is black, but this platinum one is only 50 cents more and at least gives a bit of style to match the iPad. Like I said, it's certainly not the most beautiful or even the cheapest when compared to the little wire stands/business card holders many are using, but it does have more options than those and it meets my criteria perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.