Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Please find below a list off music apps that offer an offline feature without paying for a subscription. These do include apps that have

MusicSense (Free) | website | download feature is back for songs that you mark as 'favorite' you add to a playlist. Also Android app available | kind of music: various | smartradio around a certain artist/track, unlimited skips, no audio/video banners or ads. | TIP!

The Artist Union (Free) | download type: per track | kind of music: independent artists | TIP!

Soundflake for hearthis.at (Free, but offline feature is 2,99 dollar in-app purchase (one-time only) | website | Only get (mix) music from hearthis.at. | download type: per track/mix | kind of music: various | TIP!

Trebel Music (Free with ads, or soon 4.99 a/month for students without ads) | website | download type: per track or album | kind of music: various | available in the US only | TIP!

DatPiff (Free) | kind of music: r&b/hiphop only

Spinrilla (Free, option to remove ads for 0.99 eurocents a month) | download type: per track or select all tracks from radio station | kind of music: independent artists, r&b only

Audiomack (Free, or 0.99 dollar a month (no ads), 1.99 dollar a month (no ads, 320 kbps quality sound) | download type: per track | kind of music: independent artists, genres: r&b/hiphop and dance only (big full size audio/video ads!, it depends on the artist if a track can be downloaded or not)

My Mixtapez Music & Mixtapes (Free but you need to subscribe for 2.99 dollar a month to get offline feature, higher audio quality and fewer interruptions (big full size audio/video ads!, seen without subscription), genres: r&b/hiphop

Your own music from cloud storage (Dropbox, Google Drive):
CloudBeats
| 4,99 dollar (one-time), offers offline feature for your own mp3 tracks which you stored in the cloud

Video + audio:
Vimeo | free | kind of music: various, some mainstream but mostly unknown (can't play in background)

Podcasts (music,talk):
iCatcher Podcast Player
| 2,99 dollar/3,49euro
Pocket Casts | 3,99 dollar/euro
Downcast | 2,99 dollar/euro - nice music podcasts are e.g. WeekendMix from DecibelRadio
Apple's Podcasts
(built-in app) | free

Other alternatives which costs you a few dollars/euros a month are:

Slacker Radio Plus (3.99 a month)
Pandora Plus (4.99 a month)
SoundCloud Go (4.99 a month)

for more check my blog here.

No longer offline mode available (temporarily?):
The below three apps are still available in the App Store but decided to remove the offline feature for some reason.

Jamendo (Free) | website | download type: per track | kind of music: independent artists

Hype Machine (3,99 dollar one-time only) | website | download type: per track | kind of music: independent artists

Closed down services:
Baboom (Free) | website | download type: per track/mix | kind of music: independent artists

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I just updated the list again with all the latest options.

Aside of these you do see apps in the App Store now and again which uses YouTube or SoundCloud API and also have an offline feature which isn't allowed for third party apps. For that you need to have subscription with either Soundcloud or YouTube.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
MusicSense supports again the offline feature so I updated my start post again. They just updated their iOS app this week. Tracks that you mark as favorite and add to a playlist you can listen offline. I did notice I had to remove my existing playlist though and create new playlists/favorites to get them offline/cached.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I just updated the start post a bit again to reflect todays status of all these music services. Let me know if you know other (legal) offline music apps in the App Store.

I'm thinking of creating another list here with free music services, however without offline mode but not sure if people are interested in that? I did post a similar list before on my private blog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.