Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Hey all,
I'm new here, i've just recently been looking into getting an Apple machine for the first time in my life. I've been a PC user all my life, but have been overwhelmed by my experiences with Mac's lately. So i've thought about getting a used powerbook to get my feet wet so to speak. Well i've been looking out on the web and ebay and such looking for a good deal. Mostly i've found really crappy deals (ebay is insanly bad), and i've found an auction which i've won for a new powerbook. I got it for $525. Its a 1.5 G4 512MB 80GB etc.

The problem is knowing the prices of these machines, this seems too good to be true and i'm a bit suspicious about the whole deal. The guy thats selling it has an online store and stuff, but yet is unrated on this auction site. Think this is legit? Should i just wait till the new intel machines come out or should i take the leap now?

Where can i find a nice cheap used Mac?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That sounds far too good to be true. Look through the Apple refurb pages (in the bottom right hand corner of the online Store page, with a big red "Sale" tag) for some cool/safe deals. :)

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Too good to be true.

No need to wait for intel. Look at refurb as mad jew suggests, or go with the latest release iBook. They work pretty well, and may be all you need

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Well thats the thing... his online store doesnt have this powerbook or any of the items he's auctioning off on there. So i dont know what to think about it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
WRXHokie said:
Well thats the thing... his online store doesnt have this powerbook or any of the items he's auctioning off on there. So i dont know what to think about it.
But his online store may be one we've seen before.

Hard to know anything about the deal if you give zero info on it.

Could be legitimate or a screaming fraud with the info you've given.

We don't know -- because you didn't link to the auction or the online store.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
WRXHokie said:
i've found an auction which i've won for a new powerbook. I got it for $525. Its a 1.5 G4 512MB 80GB etc.

So you have already won the auction but not paid yet?

Sounds VERY dodgy to me. Can you get out of it?

It's really very simple: you don't get something for nothing. A legitimate seller is not going to lose out by selling an item for 1/3 (or less) of its value. My guess is either the item is stolen and you'll receive it, or you'll send the money and not receive anything. *step away now*

Look for refurbs through the Apple store or an authorised reseller.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
Check on Apples website, you can get PB's that have been refurbished by apple for cheaper than anywhere else and its not too good to be true...and also depending on your age you can get the student discount which helps alot!!

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Dude... there is a great deal going on a pb from one of the sellres here, look in the marketplace under 2powerbook fs thread... i was gonna get it but i have to back out cuz my rents and bro want me to get a new one... :rolleyes:

I have been searching for used pb's since the summer now (cuz b4 i had to pay in ful for it) and what i learned is.. if the price for a 12in superdrive 1.5ghz is even close to 1k, most likely its ********..espc. if it's from ebay..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
WRXHokie said:
I'd be worried about those since they are registered to two different companies.

One in California and one in Ohio.

7095 Hollywood Blvd. # 772
Los Angeles, California 90046
United States

P.O. Box 197
Morrow, OH 45152
US

So if he is trying to make himself look legit by pointing out these websites, he failed.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
On eBay, people should always be wary of sellers who price the item significantly lower than they should, and sellers who have no feedback. I'd try to get out of this auction as soon as possible!

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Ebay prices really shocked me cause i'm really just looking for a used pb or ibook that's maybe 1 year old. Just something to get my feet wet. So i started looking on ebay and i was shocked by the price that used pb's and ibooks go for on there. These used machines go for like full price on there. I figured i could get a year old pb for like 700 or something or a used ibook for 500 - which is really what i want to do. But it seems like that is nearly impossible.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Runaway from that auction you won!!!!!
Ebay is not the place to go if you want to get a good deal on a Mac.
Macs tend to retain their value more than any other computer manufacturer, so prices tend to stay higher.
There are good deals to be had, you just have to be patient, and really look!!

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Runaway from that auction you won!!!!!
Ebay is not the place to go if you want to get a good deal on a Mac.
Macs tend to retain their value more than any other computer manufacturer, so prices tend to stay higher.
There are good deals to be had, you just have to be patient, and really look!!

Do you know where to start looking? Cause i have no clue.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Just as an update, i've tried to work out a deal with this fella even though everything he says is suspicious. I've tried to get him to go through an escrow service such as escrow.com to make the transaction. But he's been very resistant. Here's a link to the auction...

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/92477195

If you look at his auctions, he has another powerbook for sale at about the same price.

majortom64

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
WRXHokie said:
Just as an update, i've tried to work out a deal with this fella even though everything he says is suspicious. I've tried to get him to go through an escrow service such as escrow.com to make the transaction. But he's been very resistant. Here's a link to the auction...

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/92477195

If you look at his auctions, he has another powerbook for sale at about the same price.

Actually, he claims to be in NYC. Offer to meet him in person and pick up the machine. One can get a ticket to NYC from any where in the US for a price that when you include the $525 would still be cheap.

My bet is that he will not be interested in that.

/carmi

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
majortom64 said:
Actually, he claims to be in NYC. Offer to meet him in person and pick up the machine. One can get a ticket to NYC from any where in the US for a price that when you include the $525 would still be cheap.

My bet is that he will not be interested in that.

/carmi

Anyone in NY want to meet him for me and see if he'll do that? I cant fly up there currently due to work.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
While it's conceivable that someone could sell that machine for as little as $500, they would have to be desperate for money and would not wait for an auction.

On a different note (hijacking thread, sorry), what would be a good price to ask for my 12 inch 1.5GHZ Powerbook G4 (new last may) w/ 512MB, 60GB HD, and Tiger installed?

Unit is in perfect working condition and is mostly unscathed except for what appear to be a couple of pencil colored light skid marks (<1" long) near the very edge of the outer casing when the screen is closed.

Thanks. At least this isn't too off-topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.