Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarciaFunebre

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
What is the cheapest way to install 2 NVMe blades in the Mac Pro 7,1? I do not need any RAID features.
If it was bootable it would be nice but not really necessary.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
What is the cheapest way to install 2 NVMe blades in the Mac Pro 7,1? I do not need any RAID features.
If it was bootable it would be nice but not really necessary.
Buy two M.2 to PCIe x4 adapters, like AquaComputer kryoM.2 EVO or a cheaper one with a heatsink. Install each one to an empty slot.

Read about compatible M.2 blades and PCIe adaptors here, PCIe SSDs - NVMe & AHCI.

Btw, all supported M.2 blades are bootable once you enable external boot with Apple Startup Security Utility, you have to boot Recovery to use it.
macos-high-sierra-startup-security-utility.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for those hints!
Do you think this one (Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280) would work with the kryoM.2?
Double sided M.2 blades are problematic with several adapters, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB is double sided. Kryo.M2 is compatible with double sided, but EVO model needs some adaptation with the second heatsink.

MarciaFunebre

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Double sided M.2 blades are problematic with several adapters, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB is double sided. Kryo.M2 is compatible with double sided, but EVO model needs some adaptation with the second heatsink.

Thanks again - what kind of adaptation do you mean? What would I have to do? (Sorry, I have never used M.2 SSDs before, only SATA and they never needed heatsinks etc.)
Or would it be better to choose another brand? I looked up some more blades and often they won't tell whether they are single sided or double sided. That Sabrent sounded attractive in terms of cost and speed (My main concern is reading speed, for browsing image files and sample libraries.)

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2014
I'm using Toshiba XG6 1TB SDD+MSI PCI-E Adaptor
total cost less than $200, and performance are very goodm about 2900R/W similar to 970 Evo Plus

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
Sorry to butt in here but I'm in a similar boat and am completely overwhelmed after reading all the nvme threads here. I see posts saying the 970 evo plus is incompatible, but then I see post where people are succesfully using them, with this kyro adaptor, so I'm a bit lost on whether I was just on old threads and if things have changed since or what...

I just need to add one, 1TB nvme stick to my new 7,1 (for fast loading/streaming of big sample libraries in Logic X)

Is this a sensible combo?

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Amazon UK LInk

With the Kyro Evo pci adaptor (or would I be better off with the Kyro adaptor - I just want the best cooling, and would rather not have to 'modify' anything)
Amazon UK Link

Has anyone tried the the WD 750 1tb WD SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black or the sabrent rocket ones? Cheaper & decent speeds - looks like they would be fine too? Can't see any mentions of other people having tried them yet though :-/

Also @tsialex thanks for all your posts on these forums - been so much help in all the various things I've been researching lately. If I'm ever DJing in Brazil or wherever you live (& if you even like nightclubs) free tickets & beers on me :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry to butt in here but I'm in a similar boat and am completely overwhelmed after reading all the nvme threads here. I see posts saying the 970 evo plus is incompatible, but then I see post where people are succesfully using them, with this kyro adaptor, so I'm a bit lost on whether I was just on old threads and if things have changed since or what...

I just need to add one, 1TB nvme stick to my new 7,1 (for fast loading/streaming of big sample libraries in Logic X)

Is this a sensible combo?

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Amazon UK LInk

With the Kyro Evo pci adaptor (or would I be better off with the Kyro adaptor - I just want the best cooling, and would rather not have to 'modify' anything)
Amazon UK Link

Has anyone tried the the WD 750 1tb WD SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black or the sabrent rocket ones? Cheaper & decent speeds - looks like they would be fine too? Can't see any mentions of other people having tried them yet though :-/

Also @tsialex thanks for all your posts on these forums - been so much help in all the various things I've been researching lately. If I'm ever DJing in Brazil or wherever you live (& if you even like nightclubs) free tickets & beers on me :)
If the M.2 blade you want is double sided, you need to buy normal kryoM.2, if it's single sided, buy the EVO model. 970 EVO+ 1TB is single sided. Samsung 970EVO first firmware was macOS incompatible, but since September the new manufactured blades has a compatible firmware from factory.

I wouldn't buy a Sabrent blade for a scratch/work disk, only for a storage one. QLC NAND have a limited write wear capability. If you wanna have peace of mind, go with 970 EVO+.

Thx for the invite :p

Reactions: MarciaFunebre

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
The stuff arrived yesteday but the damn m.2 mounting screw on the kryro evo was just fused tight so I couldn't undo it to properly mount the blade dammmit. hahah. Amazon sending a new one today...

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
If the M.2 blade you want is double sided, you need to buy normal kryoM.2, if it's single sided, buy the EVO model. 970 EVO+ 1TB is single sided.

I'm using the non-evo model of the KryoM.2 PCIe card with a Samsung 970 EVO blade, and it seems to work well. Would using the KryoM.2 evo model make any difference, performance wise?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm using the non-evo model of the KryoM.2 PCIe card with a Samsung 970 EVO blade, and it seems to work well. Would using the KryoM.2 evo model make any difference, performance wise?
M.2 connector is a miniaturised version of a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, with some PCIe unrelated signals added to the connector that can be used or not, like USB. The point is, you will always be limited by the available throughput of the PCIe 4 lanes (~1450MB/s with PCIe 2.0 Macs, ~3200MB/s with PCIe 3.0 Macs).

The advantage of kryoM.2 EVO is better thermals with the second heatsink on the back. The way the second heatsink is mounted limits kryoM.2 EVO to single sided blades only. If your present config is not thermal limited, won't make a difference throughput wise.

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
M.2 connector is a miniaturised version of a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, with some PCIe unrelated signals added to the connector that can be used or not, like USB. The point is, you will always be limited by the available throughput of the PCIe 4 lanes (~1450MB/s with PCIe 2.0 Macs, ~3200MB/s with PCIe 3.0 Macs).

The advantage of kryoM.2 EVO is better thermals with the second heatsink on the back. The way the second heatsink is mounted limits kryoM.2 EVO to single sided blades only. If your present config is not thermal limited, won't make a difference throughput wise.

I see, thanks. Well, the average temps I'm getting in the 7,1 Mac Pro with the non-evo KryoM.2 cards are around 30 degrees Celcius. Also, I do not write to the blades very much. So thats looking pretty good, I think. Though if I were to expand the storage, I'd probably get the KryoM.2 evo model just to be safe.

Last edited:

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
Can confirm all went with me with the 970 plus and the (replacement) kyro evo in my 7,1. Thermal pads went on both sides fine - no hacking required, seems to be working great so far but i havent checked the temps (havent googled what program to use for that yet). thanks alex and all for your helpful posts.

I see, thanks. Well, the average temps I'm getting in the 7,1 Mac Pro with the non-evo KryoM.2 cards are around 30 degrees Celcius. Also, I do not write to the blades very much. So thats looking pretty good, I think. Though if I were to expand the storage, I'd probably get the KryoM.2 evo model just to be safe.

sam80

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
I've installed kryoM.2 Evo with an older Samsung 970 Pro blade and it works great. Thanks guys for the info.

The led on the card is pretty strong orange light bouncing off the wall behind the computer, best switched off unless you like that sort of thing.

John_B Beta

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Maidenhead, UK
I've installed kryoM.2 Evo with an older Samsung 970 Pro blade and it works great. Thanks guys for the info.

The led on the card is pretty strong orange light bouncing off the wall behind the computer, best switched off unless you like that sort of thing.

Haha yes I second that about the light - I'd got everything installed and the mac all tucked up and cable managed beautifully, then spotted the lights flashing - had to pull it all out to switch it off as knew it was going to keep on winding me up until I dealt with it! SWITCH EM OFF FOLKS!

Reactions: sam80

sam80

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
I've now installed 2 of these kryoM.2 evo in a RAID 0 as a temporary solution. Speeds 5000 Write, 6000 Read with Samsung 970 Pro + 970 Evo, not plus.

Haha yes I second that about the light - I'd got everything installed and the mac all tucked up and cable managed beautifully, then spotted the lights flashing - had to pull it all out to switch it off as knew it was going to keep on winding me up until I dealt with it! SWITCH EM OFF FOLKS!

Yeah, I took it out multiple times to test the lights. Realised that even when it's 'off', there's still faint flashing. The 'SSD' setting is a stronger flash. Ended up setting it to 'on' for now which gives a constant orange glow off the back of the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.