Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
MacFan782040 said:
Wow, guys I'm all really suprized on the amount of criticism here. Never did I say it was an academy award winning video- it was a 5 minute video that (not only me but 3 other people had input) worked on it (AMATEURS) and made this in about 5 class days.

I wanted to post it because it was (I thought) somewhat entertaining.

I never said it was my best work, ect. Heck, somebody could have posted a "jackass" type video with just cropped clips one after another and you probably would have liked it better.

I appriciate the comments, whether they are good or bad, and I respect what everyone has to say, but if you feel it wasn't worth your time, then you didn't have to watch it did you? I kinda wish I never posted it to begin with.

You wont be the first or the last to regret posting their creative efforts for public mauling.
Sorry if my initial comments sounded abrupt or cruel, but for my sins thats me. Its a trait of those brought up in Yorkshire. I did mean well (if you can believe taht). All the rest of the comments were really in defence of my right to express an opinion on something, beit negative or positive.
Hats off to you for even having the gusto to even make it in the first place.
Thankfully I havent got the balls to post my over-edited holiday video of Turkey last year. Now there'd be a prime example of how NOT to edit.

:) :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
MacFan782040 said:
Wow, guys I'm all really suprized on the amount of criticism here.
Oh, c'mon. Everyone is a Monday morning quarterback on the internet. ;)

I wanted to post it because it was (I thought) somewhat entertaining.
And now you are getting feedback and finding out it's not as funny as you'd thought. 'Tis the double-edged sword of showing your work in public.

Heck, somebody could have posted a "jackass" type video with just cropped clips one after another and you probably would have liked it better.
Only if it was funny.

Capt Underpants said:
Holy crap, people. This isn't a freakin blockbuster movie here.
And no one expected it to be. But I think people were hoping to be entertained.

Four guys wanted to have some fun, so they made a video.
Having fun making a video is different than making a video people will have fun watching. This is why vacation videos are usually so painful to watch. When you are making a video you have to divorce yourself from everything that is not explicitly on the screen. You can't bring any emotional baggage or prior knowledge w/you when you watch your piece. You have to watch it like you've never seen it before, and that's one of the first hurdles you have to learn to avoid as a storyteller (and it's one that can always sneak up on you if you are not careful)

Careful, this is probably gonna be long winded.

All in all I think the video would qualify as a good first or second draft. As I understand it you had 5 days to write/shoot/edit a 5 minute video for a class. You had the right idea to pick a story idea that is simple, familiar and universal (David & Goliath basically). This allows your audience to jump right in 'cause they are pretty familiar w/the basics of what's going on. Your downfall though was in the execution of the idea. As I understand it the protagonist is sad he doesn’t have a trophy in the trophy case, so he trains to beat the local ping-pong bad@ss, makes a nailing biting come-back to win the day, and proudly adds his trophy to the case. I’m basing the rest of my post off this assumption so I hope it’s not too wrong.

First off, it’s way too long. You could easily cut it in half. A good start would be to take every shot in the video and cut it in half. Literally. Editing is about rhythm, tempo, beat, and pacing. And when you are doing comedy it’s even more important (5 frames can be the difference between getting a laugh or a shrug). Comedy has to be tight. The tighter the better. You aren’t going to see an hour long comedy on TV (comedy’s are 30min and dramas are 60min), and you aren’t going to see an epic, 3hr long comedy at the theater. You just can’t sustain comedy for that long.
Every edit you make, every shot, every thing on that screen should be there for a reason. It should have a purpose. It should carry the story forward. No matter how much you like a certain shot or event, if it doesn’t move the story forward it has to go. If it doesn’t leave your audience will leave ‘cause they are bored ‘cause your story isn’t going anywhere.

Just some random suggestions follow...

I’m assuming in the opening scene our Hero is going “Gee, I wish I had a trophy in the trophy case”, but that’s not very clear at all (and didn’t even start becoming clear until the end of the film). This is bad ‘cause it’s the first 5 seconds of the film and the audience is already lost. Speaking of being lost, the villain just seems to come out of no where. A way to solve this would be to introduce the villain in the first scene. For example, the hero is looking at the trophy case, the villain walks into frame, pushes the hero out of the way and puts a big trophy into the case. A short, simple scene like that goes a long way:
1. It introduces the villain
2. It shows that the villain is a d*ck (he pushes the hero)
3. It shows that the villain is a top dog (the big trophy)
4. It makes the audience dislike the villain (see #2)
5. It gives our hero a goal/motivation (to beat the villain)
6. It gives the audience an emotional connection w/the hero (we’ve all been bullied)
Now when we go into the training scene it will make more sense because we know why the hero is so determined (cut the running in half).

The funny boxing gloves are funny. But not funny w/in the context of this movie. IMO some sort of over-the-top Forrest Gump spoof (Gump practicing ping-pong against the wall) would have made more sense and been funnier. You did the weightlifting gag backwards. Show the hero working his butt off THEN show that he’s struggling w/a tiny amount of weight.

The ping-pong table out in the middle of the field was funny. But the match lasted way, way too long. And I don’t think you should’ve used a tripod at all. The handheld work gives it a shaky/uncertain feel (which helps lend tension to the match). The flashback to the trophy was a good idea, but lasted too long.

A quick flash of the trophy, close-up of hero’s face full of new found determination, close-up of hero’s hand gripping the paddle, he crashes a return right past the villain, close-up of villain pissed off, BAM, the battle begins anew.

All of that takes 2 seconds or less.

Speaking of close-ups… You could have used more of them. The wider the shot the more impersonal it is. The more impersonal you are as a storyteller the less you are influencing your audience. Movies can get away w/wider shots because they are intended to be viewed on giant movie screens and not tiny (relatively speaking) TVs. The next time you watch TV see how often they cut to a close-up and why they cut to the close-up. What is going on in the scene that makes the storyteller want the audience to see the character’s face so clearly?

Of course all of this is just my opinion of some things that might have helped. :)

Hopefully it wasn’t too long winded.

Lethal

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I don't think you can learn to improve your editing skills and storytelling ability when all people do is blow smoke up your ass.

So if people say the video was boring, well guess what, it is. Because we tend to develop tunnel vision when it comes to our own editing project, it's good to have a third pair of eyes to tell you what works and what doesn't. Take the criticism with a grain of salt, and use it constructively to improve your work.

If you show it to try to get a pat on the back, we'll don't be surprised if you get punched in the stomach instead.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Well i thought it was entertaining. Made me laugh and think wtf was the guy on when he made the film. I mean this in a good way, it was a film with no plot in a 5 minute time slot. Throwing random stuff in the clip. I like, I like, for the sake of a quick entertainment. As for the criticism, check out my movies i made and i would say many more people's movies and this is not crap for amateur standard. If i have to give some form of criticism, was that it was a bit long.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Thumbs up!

I personally loved it - loved the music which it was shot to - how long did it take you to decide which piece to use?

Did you have a choice of others?

FireArse

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Lacero said:
I don't think you can learn to improve your editing skills and storytelling ability when all people do is blow smoke up your ass.

To build on that I don't think they can learn to improve their skills w/o feedback as to what didn't work and why it didn't work.

Having someone just say "it was boring" isn't going to help them improve either.

Lethal

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
Nice Job,couldv'e been improved

Pretty nice for an ameteur,I found it amusing. It is pretty good considering you're new to the whole fimmaking thing,but overall a good job. As many others have said...you just need improvement,which will come in time. Just mess around with preferences on your Mac and you'll get the hang of it. I also understand it was just a goofing around movie,I have made some like that but way too big to host(about 1 hour long).You did a decent job and it isn't horrible,it just lacks in a few things you could've edited better,like transitions and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.