Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Check out the picture. The Mac Pro RAM is at the top and the New Omni RAM is at the bottom. Do I need to take off the black heat seekers and put them on my new OMNI RAM?

Or do I just put the new omni ram into the slot?

33nhoif.jpg

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Check out the picture. The Mac Pro RAM is at the top and the New Omni RAM is at the bottom. Do I need to take off the black heat seekers and put them on my new OMNI RAM?

Or do I just put the new omni ram into the slot?

Do you mean the heatsinks?

Is that RAM meant to work in the machine?

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
HeatSinks? Yes, that's what I meant. I'm pretty positive those are the right ones. You have to email the company the Model of your computer before they send out the RAM. God, I hope so.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
HeatSinks? Yes, that's what I meant. I'm pretty positive those are the right ones. You have to email the company the Model of your computer before they send out the RAM. God, I hope so.

Then it should be OK to just put them in. Don't take any heatsinks off.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Do not take the heatsinks off either RAM -- at best you will void their warranty, at worst if they are not comptible / not installed correctly you could cook the RAM.

When you install the RAM, put the two new ones in the first 2 slots of one riser, and the Apple RAM in the first two slots of the other riser.

Crank the machine up by exercising the processor -- running games, or rendering in Final Cut, or running Folding at Home at 100%. You want to get CPU usage up near 100%, plus make sure that you are utilizing all of the RAM.

You should not get any freezes or panics. Also after you have run testing for a coule of days, check the number of correctible ECC errors. Apple's standard is a maximum of 4 in 48 hours.

If you are getting panics (with FB errors) or an excessive number of ECC errors, then send the RAM back for a refund.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
use a static wrist strap or ground yourself to the case or a file cabinet before handling the RAM. Course it could already be too late.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Loud

The RAM is installed and boy is my computer humming! I also installed the Seagate 500Gig Hard Drive that seems to be pretty loud and very annoying.

I just touched the back of the computer and the noise went down a little bit. Is it the fans working harder or the RAM.

It sounds like a Fridgerator is on!

Update:
If I tilt the compute over slightly the noise goes away.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I velieve my purchase tip included calling and asking for the Big Honking Apple Heat Sinks which you must have overlooked. Call and purchase bigger heat sinks.

Dammmit!!! Do I just need to add and order the heat sinks? Or do I need to return the RAM and get new ones?

The sound is def the Hard Drive model ST3500641AS-RK

I'm going to return it.

2remzxw.png

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The RAM is installed and boy is my computer humming! I also installed the Seagate 500Gig Hard Drive that seems to be pretty loud and very annoying.

I just touched the back of the computer and the noise went down a little bit. Is it the fans working harder or the RAM.

It sounds like a Fridgerator is on!

Update:
If I tilt the compute over slightly the noise goes away.

Dirtyduo, are the fans actually running faster or do you think its some kind of vibration? If its the latter, you may want to reseat the memory risers and make sure they're in properly.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
MaxSink Are Among The Best For Only $49

Dammmit!!! Do I just need to add and order the heat sinks? Or do I need to return the RAM and get new ones?
OK first of all you may not need them. And you won't have to return the RAM. Get their price then also consider these MaxSinks for only $49 a pair. They are among the best you can buy.

You can see they are much better than what Apple Gives You. Yes the bigger Heat Sink will keep the RAM cooler and thus your fans running slower-quieter.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Dirtyduo, are the fans actually running faster or do you think its some kind of vibration? If its the latter, you may want to reseat the memory risers and make sure they're in properly.

The noise went away. I'm thinking its the HD.

Well OMNI is going to let me send them back and they will add the heat sinks to them for $14, not bad and no restocking fee.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The RAM won't die with those heatsinks that are already on there. There *could* be temperature problems which would lead to ECC errors. If there aren't any, well many, of those then you wouldn't need the bigger heat sinks. Remember, if you change the heatsinks, your warranty flies out of the window.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Please Post Pic Of Bigger Omni Heat Sinks When You Get Them

The RAM won't die with those heatsinks that are already on there. There *could* be temperature problems which would lead to ECC errors. If there aren't any, well many, of those then you wouldn't need the bigger heat sinks. Remember, if you change the heatsinks, your warranty flies out of the window.
Not when he gets them from Omni where he bought the RAM. Good deal Duo.

Would you mind taking and posting a picture of those Omni Heat Sinks when you get them back please? Interested in seeing how big they are. Sorry you had to go through this delay.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Holy cow, I really need some more memory. After seeing that Page ins/outs that dirtyduo posted I decided to check mine. On a 1GB Mac Pro after an uptime of 1h56m and after doing a bit of internet browsing in Safari and Firefox, a little Google Earth and some MSN I have Page ins/outs: 155291/275668. Ouch.

I've been waiting for the cost to come down somewhat. I tried ordering an extra 2GB earlier on today but I won't know if the order actually went through or not until tomorrow and it turns up or not. If it didn't go through then I'm going to argue with my supplier and try to get Saturday shipping for no extra cost.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Omni Is Still A Better Deal

If you have errors or overheating problems, rather than spending another $50 on heatsinks *that you should have received in the first place*, I would advise returning the $211 Optival RAM and getting some Apple Approved heatsink RAM from Data Memory Systems for $234 or the Techworks for $219 from OWC
Your prices are wrong. He bought two 2GB sticks not two 1GB sticks. Omni is upgrading him to the right heat sinks for only $14.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Add 4GB At A Time Not 2GB With Two 2GB Sticks For Only $438 Inc Big Heat Sinks

Holy cow, I really need some more memory. After seeing that Page ins/outs that dirtyduo posted I decided to check mine. On a 1GB Mac Pro after an uptime of 1h56m and after doing a bit of internet browsing in Safari and Firefox, a little Google Earth and some MSN I have Page ins/outs: 155291/275668. Ouch.

I've been waiting for the cost to come down somewhat. I tried ordering an extra 2GB earlier on today but I won't know if the order actually went through or not until tomorrow and it turns up or not. If it didn't go through then I'm going to argue with my supplier and try to get Saturday shipping for no extra cost.
Try to add two 2GB sticks at Omni for $438 - call for bigger heat sinks - not two 1GB sticks. The rule of thumb is 1GB per core MINIMUM. So adding 4 is only going to get you past the MINIMUM. I provide the Ramseeker.com link that gives you the lower price of $424. Then you phone them toll free telling them you have the Ramseeker lower price but want the $14 upgraded Heat Sinks. Then push the buy button and put it in your notes to them that you talked to them on the phone for those $14 Heat Sinks to be added.

I am not affiliated with Omni at all. I just think they should be rewarded for keeping their prices lower than any other company by giving them our business.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Try to add two 2GB sticks not two 1GB sticks. The rule of thumb is 1GB per core MINIMUM. So adding 4 is only going to get you past the MINIMUM.

I can't afford 4GB. 2x1GB comes in at ~£150 ($300) over here with 2x2GB around £400 ($800). I can't really afford more than about £160 shipped and taxed right now. I shouldn't even be spending that but I've had enough of constant hard drive noise when I change windows!!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your prices are wrong. He bought two 2GB sticks not two 1GB sticks. Omni is upgrading him to the right heat sinks for only $14.

OK yeah, I didn't see anywhere in thread that said what model or what size the OP bought, so I guessed. I suppose I could have deduced it from the screenshot of the memory usage.

The 4 Gb kit at Data Memory Systems is $478, at OWC it is $439.95
With no hassle, no pricing gymnastics, and no need to remind them to ship you the correct heatsinks.

You know that every time you promote Omni, I am obliged to remind MR readers to check the Omni Technologies customer satisfaction rating under Store Ratings at www.resellerratings.com and make their own minds up.

I totally admit my bias. I don't like Omni, their advertising practices, or their pricing practices. I DO like Data Memory Systems because I have dealt with them for over 6 years, and I know that they know Macs inside and out, and they have superlative customer service.

Spanky, OWC will export, DMS is a bit more reluctant to but might if you ask.
$220 US is about £110 now, plus VAT and shipping/clearing.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
RAM's pricing is simply a rip off. It's got to be marked up at least 80%. And it seems by looking at all the pictures form different websites that they manufactured by only a few different makers with the Web Site's Company 2 cent sticker stuck to the side.

I use to sell Monster Cable. That stuff is marked up over 95%.

Just my two cents!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.