Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ken4ward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Just about 3 days ago I began to notice checkers on the screen of my Macbook 2011. I thought iit's the GPU and i reballed it, but nothing changed. what do I do, please.See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.42.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.42.15 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 506
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.41.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.41.30 PM.png
    811 KB · Views: 260

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's going to be the graphics chip = replace the logic board.
(Reballing will not help at all if the chip itself is failing :cool: )

ken4ward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
As you shared the link to that post, do you think this might be a solution to this problem? Thanks.

ken4ward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Yes, I think so. The problem will manifest itself somewhat differently. I see you can boot to your desktop. I can’t make it to the logon screen.
I can boot to the Desktop and do any other thing as usual with the difference that the checkers appears on the screen. Would switching to one GPU solve the problem? Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You will see in that thread that the "solution" is to prevent the discrete graphics chip from being used - leaving you with a system that cannot switch from the integrated graphics to the discrete chip.
It's not what I would call a "solution", just a work-around.

Reactions: jerryk

ken4ward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
You will see in that thread that the "solution" is to prevent the discrete graphics chip from being used - leaving you with a system that cannot switch from the integrated graphics to the discrete chip.
It's not what I would call a "solution", just a work-around.

Thanks for this suggestion. I think that was the problem. it has now been resolved. Though not using this, but an application which does the same thing. Let me detail the steps, it might be of help to anyone who could experience such a problem and want to resolve it.

After googling, I got on this discussion thread about possible solution. That of
Grant Bennet-Alder detailed what to do and that's what I followed: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250228290?answerId=250429470022#250429470022
1. I downloaded the application gfxCardStatus, extracted and ran it. The app gives a GUI capability to switch between the cards. When I tried running it, it displays that I have to disable Google Chrome helper, then I googled again and got full report of how Google Chrome helper could be disabled from this link - https://www.stechies.com/google-chrome-helper/. It detailed that Google Chrome should be reset to factory/default setting, which I did. After that, my system comes back to life again. I think the graphics challenge was because of some plugins who always eat up memory by constantly running.

Thanks God, I was not planning to buy a new logic board again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.