Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oliver G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've been trying to create a bootable USB installer OS X Lion and am having some serious trouble trying to make one. I downloaded a fresh copy of Lion directly from Apple's servers and have tried the following methods on two seperate machines (2011 MacBookAir and 2012 MacBook Pro) running 10.13.6 High Sierra.

First I tried DiskMaker X but I just kept getting a ASObjC Runner wasn’t found error.

So I then tried the restore method which has been widely written about online. Installing the pkg file, than mounting the InstallESD.dmg from the Share Support folder of the package contests and then finally restoring that image to a blank 16GB USB stick.

It seems copy everything over but at the final hurdle I get a Checksum failed error. The full error can be seen in the attached image but it looks like it's expecting a certain checksum but getting another. Can anyone please help me on what to do to try and get this Lion installer bootable?

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.06.39 pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.