Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Taking it away completely may do more harm than help; you should establish a clear set of rules on videogame usage; I.E. no more than an hour on weekdays, no more than two hours on weekend days. No gaming before chores are done, etc.

Trying to find an outdoor activity he enjoys may also help, maybe a team sport (football, baseball, soccer) or an individual sport (tennis, running, track, etc).

It´s about finding balance, I love videogames and due to rules set by my folks growing up I was never too much in-front of a screen.

And by the way, if I did not comply with the "videogame usage rules" of my home or if I failed on any of my grades I did got my gaming console taken away until I improved or got better.

What I´m trying to say is: don´t take the games away right away, talk to your son and establish the rules, take the games away if rules are broken.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
If it's not affecting his studies and health already, then maybe his usage is reasonable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What should I do?
I hate to state the obvious but if you feel your child is spending too much time playing on the PS4, then set limits on his usage or take it away outright. I'm a big fan of setting limits, i.e., telling your child he or she needs to accomplish certain goals before having some time with x,y or z.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Any recomendation for 4 year old child? Need to take him away from youtube

Set rules and limits. When they break the rules, let them feel the consequences. "no whining" should be part of the rules. They learn fast IF you keep your word (both ways).
Give normal sanctions: no "6 months without youtube"-stuff so that they learn you never break your word.

My 6yr old never whines when I say it's time to turn off the TV, cause she knows whining will only make it worse.

And whatever you do; always keep calm even when they are going berserk. Calm = control. Control = power. (even if you are going mental on the inside, never show)

And if it's on an iPad: iOS12 brings easy parental controls with screen time. max 1 hr on youtube a day and the iPad will block the app. Cool stuff.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Screen time should be a reward for proper positive behavior. Get an A on a test? Get an hour of screen time. Clean your room and do all your chores during the week? Get an hour of screen time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.