Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

q66_

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
my project of the last ~2 years and what i've been focusing on after leaving voidlinux:

an early iso image for ppc64 is now available: https://repo.chimera-linux.org/live/testing/chimera-linux-ppc64-LIVE-20230620-gnome.iso

at very least it boots/works on my machine, expect all of the usual big endian nits though, and probably a ton of other additional jank currently not present on the tier1 architectures

i might get around to launching a 32-bit port eventually (a few months) as well, but for now some toolchain issues got in the way

pmac.png

ITzTravelInTime

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2020
Italia
I whish my G5 quad works so i would test this with a decently modern gpu, instead i have to use my agp one, how well would a geforce 6800 gt work with this distro?

q66_

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
I whish my G5 quad works so i would test this with a decently modern gpu, instead i have to use my agp one, how well would a geforce 6800 gt work with this distro?
dunno, the 6600le that is in the gpu slot on mine fails to modeset (no display) which i've been experiencing since at least early 5.x kernels on other systems, so hard to say (maybe my card is just bad though)

q66_

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
do keep in mind that installing it is going to be tricky right now considering 1) there is no documentation on how to do so, so you have to be familiar with how the boot process of a power mac works, and adapt 2) there is no native tool to deal with APM partition tables or legacy HFS filesystems, both of which are needed to set up a bootloader; `parted` can deal with APM, but one has to install it first, and it's a little bit clunky especially for creation of the bootstrap partition, and for HFS there is currently nothing; i'll add `mac-fdisk` and `hfsutils` in the coming days/weeks

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
IMG_3186.jpeg
Just attempted to boot via open firmware the live image from a usb drive (formatted using the dd command in terminal) and got this far. Using a powermac 11,2 with 16GB ram and Radeon X1900 G5 edition. Used ‘\boot\grub\powerpc.elf’ as the boot file path. It loaded into grub then attempted to boot before crashing into open firmware.

Last edited:

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Just posting to send my love and support. At this point, my Mac Mini M1 has made me post less and less on vintage hardware. Still, I love the work and want to be supportive. I may give Chimera a try.

Reactions: AdamBuker

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
IMG_2236.jpeg
If you add 32 bit I would write you a check right now for 1 billion dollars(just don’t cash the check😂.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.