Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Due to the ongoing chip shortage, I'm wondering if I should upgrade early from my current 12 mini to the iPhone 12 Pro / Pro Max. If I wait it out, what are my chances of actually getting the iPhone 13 in 2021?

My gripe with the 12 mini is the battery and the screen size. Its pocketable but it is also just duller than the 12 Pro.

I'm noticing the chip shortage affecting so many manufacturers? I haven't been able to order a second battery for my Nikon Z5 and Nikon's Z fc is supposedly going to be in very short supply due to the chip shortage. Of course, the auto industry is really struggling to get their 2022 models out and available for dealers to sell.

Curious to hear thoughts on upgrading early.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
My initial thoughts on this is that it shouldn't make much of an impact? From an article on The Verge a couple of weeks back:

That’s also why chip shortages likely won’t hit some of the biggest devices, like Apple’s next iPhone or whatever Samsung’s fall flagship ends up being, at least not as hard as they hit Ford trucks or GPUs. Digitimes reports that TSMC is already prioritizing Apple’s orders(along with those of car manufacturers) heading into the fall. Because of the size and scale of Apple’s orders — think of how many iPhones it sells every year, all using cutting-edge chips from TSMC — it has the pull to stay at the front of the line.

Reactions: thenahon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.