Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
Hi, I accidentally chipped part of my laptop as there was something inside when I tried to close it and I didn’t realise. The laptop still works, i just haven’t had it very long and was wondering if I can get it fixed (mainly for aesthetic reasons and longevity) and for how much approximately? I know people may feel it’s pointless but I want this to last for a while so I want to fix any problems before they get worse.
Photo attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 604
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 163

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
That might be an expensive repair since it could be that the entire display along with the bezel area that's chipped may have to be replaced. I'm not certain that the bezel alone can be replaced without including the display. That would be something you should ask of Apple before deciding to repair your MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Neisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
That might be an expensive repair since it could be that the entire display along with the bezel area that's chipped may have to be replaced. I'm not certain that the bezel alone can be replaced without including the display. That would be something you should ask of Apple before deciding to repair your MacBook Pro.
Thank you ? Do you by any chance know the approximate costs of how much just the bezel replacement would be vs the cost of replacing the full display?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
There is no bezel replacement from Apple. If any repair shop is offering that, it's up to them and you'd have to ask them for pricing. From Apple directly, expect to replace the whole display. Your best bet is that you have Apple Care+ which means $99. If you don't and have to pay out of your own pocket, it's unfortunately more expensive and should be between $500 and $800 depending on the overall state of the machine (dents, scratches, triggered liquid sensors, etc.).

Neisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
There is no bezel replacement from Apple. If any repair shop is offering that, it's up to them and you'd have to ask them for pricing. From Apple directly, expect to replace the whole display. Your best bet is that you have Apple Care+ which means $99. If you don't and have to pay out of your own pocket, it's unfortunately more expensive and should be between $500 and $800 depending on the overall state of the machine (dents, scratches, triggered liquid sensors, etc.).
Oh wow yikes. When I spoke to Apple online, they said to come into a store to get it assessed. I just don’t know if it’s worth travelling that far to just be told the whole screen will need replacing :/

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Oh wow yikes. When I spoke to Apple online, they said to come into a store to get it assessed. I just don’t know if it’s worth travelling that far to just be told the whole screen will need replacing :/
You could always send it in for assessment, if you can live without it for a while. The part that is cracked in the images is glued. I've never seen Apple replace that alone in the past. You could ask them, maybe they've changed it and I just don't know about it. Behind that part is the screen (protector) itself, that's why they've always replaced the whole screen in all cases I know of.

Another option would be to look for a local Apple authorized reseller. While they would usually not be my top-choice, they should at least be able to tell you how much it would cost to fix it.

Neisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
Yeah, Apple techs are kind of lazy and just replace the whole lid, with the aluminum back, screen, glass.
Thank you. That’s so frustrating :/ do you think I should just leave it then?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Thank you. That’s so frustrating :/ do you think I should just leave it then?
Probably best to leave it be unless it's something that's so annoying that you feel you need to have it repaired.

Another option you have is that you may be able to sell it as is and then purchase a new machine. At least then it would not be a large expenditure for you. Besides, it's always nice to have a new machine. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Royksöpp

Neisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
Probably best to leave it be unless it's something that's so annoying that you feel you need to have it repaired.

Another option you have is that you may be able to sell it as is and then purchase a new machine. At least then it would not be a large expenditure for you. Besides, it's always nice to have a new machine. :)
Thank you hahah.
I’ve only had it about seven months so I’m not sure if I’m prepared to sell it yet.
I actually have insurance on the laptop that covers accidental damage, however it doesn’t cover cosmetic damage. It states “This Policy does not cover Damage that does not interfere with the normal functioning or operation of Your Device, and/or would not lead to injury or further Damage to You or the Device. If it is just a scratch or dent and Your Device still works as expected, Brightstar will not repair or replace it. For example, while a scratched screen on a Mobile Phone that does not interfere with the normal operation of the Mobile Phone would not be covered, a cracked screen that could lead to further Damage of the Mobile Phone would be.”
Do you think this would be would be eligible?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
a cracked screen that could lead to further Damage of the Mobile Phone would be.”
Do you think this would be would be eligible?
It's hard to tell from the pics. I don't want to scare you, but in my experience, if that crack is under the bezel and in the screen (protector), over time this will likely expand into the actual screen area. Any temperature changes and physical stress like opening/closing might contribute to that. It's impossible to tell without removing the lower bezel part. But you could try to bring that argument to your insurance and see what they have to say about it.

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
We have twins … except mine is on a 2018 pro and closer to the edge. It’s been a year. I just sharpied a piece of tape. It’s barely noticeable.

* I always wondered how it happened. Thanks for clearing it up

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
I think your best bet, if the chip bothers you, is to sell it as-is, then buy a similar refurbished model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.