Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sierrablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
Hi All,

I bought my first Mac coming from lifetime Windows user. I am trying to find the best app to store and play my hi res audio files. Any suggestions? When I say "best app", I really mean best app for the money. All I do is listen to my Mac on my back deck attached to my receiver and speakers. I am also looking for a decent DAC to connect to my Mac. Thanks all.

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
Sorry for not attempting to answer your "best app to store and play" question. I suggest you start with sth free or nearly free and see how it goes. You can get the Boom 3D booster (not free, should be around $30) and the free VOX for Mac. Then, you reconsider.

sierrablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
Sorry for not attempting to answer your "best app to store and play" question. I suggest you start with sth free or nearly free and see how it goes. You can get the Boom 3D booster (not free, should be around $30) and the free VOX for Mac. Then, you reconsider.
Thanks. I should clarify what I am looking for.
Boom looks interesting. Is there a way to play entire albums? I want the ability to view my entire drive of music and choose which album to play next.

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
Thanks. I should clarify what I am looking for.

Boom looks interesting. Is there a way to play entire albums? I want the ability to view my entire drive of music and choose which album to play next.
OK, I'll tell you what I do. I keep my albums on an external hard disk; nowadays, Apple offers too small internal disks to "waste" them on non-OS data. I use the native Mac app Music to create some sort of database with my music, but I keep there only my favorite pieces (again, due to the internal disk's size). You can also migrate the Music app's contents to an external disk if you like.

I run both Boom3D and VOX; the latter can accept entire albums or selected songs' compilations, while that stuff is on an external disk. The extra benefit of VOX is it can play FLAC (as well as MP3) without the need for conversion. If I want to convert, I use the FLAC MP3 Converter app, also free.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated or pro solutions, but I'm not a pro, I just like to listen to music while I work. Hope that helps.

Reactions: sierrablue

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
best app to store files - finder
app to play hires files (sacd, dsd) - pine player.
app to play other media - vlc

that is all.

Reactions: satcomer

elgato2024

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2019
how to get the keyboard media buttons to work with vox?

.. been installing it and its extension 'VOX preferences' on macos13 on a macbookpro several times and the damn MUSIC-app still keeps popping up instead....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.